Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why use Jira Service Management?

Brendan Gray August 24, 2021

I don't understand what Jira Service Management is for. Is it used explicitly for the purpose of customers having access to your projects so that they can see the progress?

If that is the case, then how can I set users who need to make changes and edits to our Jira projects and Confluence spaces, (I.e. be an administrator) but do not need access to Jira Service Management? Because having these people in Jira Service Management is taking us to a higher plan, but I still need them to be Administrators.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2021

JSM is a model where you have a support group or a potentially large number of customers. It is intended that customers don’t need full access to the application but rather just the ability to open issues and check the latest status via comments and a portal. Good examples of use cases include an internal IT support desk, external customer service support, HR support, facility support, etc.

JSM is not good for solutions where your team needs access to the application such that they can be assigned issues transition issues vote for issues etc. that is better suited for JSW or JWM applications.

finally regarding access to GSM in an environment where you may have JSW already as well as Confluence then you simply edit the users access by product. This is done under admin - user management and the details of the specified user. Anyone with JSM access is considered an agent and is licensed at a fee. Customers or JSM projects are not licensed.

Thiago Guedes
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 24, 2021

Thanks for this, Jack! Helped me a lot.

Brendan Gray August 27, 2021

Hi Jack, thanks for the reply. But I need some of my users to have admin rights, but to not have access to JSM so I don't go over my member limit. Does that make sense?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2021

If a user is a Jira admin they have access to everything. That is the nature of being a Jira admin. Project admins are more limited and wont have access to all projects. If you were on a free project and you’re trying to control your user limit you absolutely should have only a single or at most two Jira admin’s. There’s really no reason for such a small deployment to require more than that.

I need 5 or 6 users to be able to make edits to a project though, so I need them to be admins.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 27, 2021

what kind of edits? Can these users be simply project admin’s? Must they be Jira admin’s? If they are Jira admin’s then they will be JSM licensed users. If they can be project admin’s in your JSW projects then they won’t have to have access to JSM.

As far as I can tell that feature (to make users projects admins) is only available for paid plans.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 27, 2021

That could be for sure. But hey for free get a lot. Invariably though you're going to run into a situation where you want to upgrade if you depend on the application to get work done.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events