Why jira creates new issue when replying to my email

PM TechArchitecture Team September 30, 2022

Jira service management creates new issue instead of adding comment, when the user replies to their own email.

For example,

1. A@test.com sends an email to B@test.com

2. Before B@test.com replies to A's email, a sends email again
(for correcting type, etc...)

In step 1, JSM creates new issue. (expected).

But in step 2, JSM creates new issue again! (unexpected).

When I analyze the raw email, the email header is empty. But I thought JSM can detect the existing issue with summary (email title).

Why this happens?

And what condition changes or remove the 'In-Reply-To'?

This mechanism give me very hard work that deletes a lot of duplicated issue.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2022

Are the users retaining the issue key in the subject of the reply email?

PM TechArchitecture Team October 3, 2022

Hi Nic,

We don't use the issue key in the email subject. Because we usually send email directly instead of replying Jira notifications. Jira is just for recording the email history.

Also, most of the email can detect the original issue even without the issue key in the subject.

Should the subject contain the issue key?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2022

Yes, that is going to break it.

Computers need us humans to be clear on what we are talking about.  For Jira, that means using the issue key as the conversational subject.  If there is no issue key in a conversation, it just has no idea what we might be talking about.

Your best option is to start replying to Jira emails instead of inventing stuff people (and computers) can't recognise.

PM TechArchitecture Team October 3, 2022

I confirmed the email is properly added to the existing issue as a comment when the email subject contains the issue key.

I will consider the email process with our team.

Thank you for your accurate answer.

0 votes
Waleed Alhumaikani April 13, 2023

Hi both,

I thought about updating this ticket instead of opening a new one.

I have a similar issue in one of our projects. However, another user replied to the same issue (with issue in the title) and this created a new ticket instead of updating the same one. 

Is this also replying to the email by another user breaks the rule and triggered by Jira as a new ticket?

Also I need to know where can I manage such rule of retaining the issue key in the subject while replying via email? I've checked the automation section, project rules, and library. Still can't find such.  

Thanks in advance.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD Trial
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events