Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Jira Software users showing up in the Customers channel?

Hines Trulock July 8, 2022

In Jira Service Management, Channel, and Customers, it shows all of our Jira users.  Is that by design and can they be hidden?  

3 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2022

Hi @Hines Trulock ,

so I think I understand what you are getting at but let me verify. When you go to the Customers page for a given JSM project you see a lot of names that are not specifically associated with the project. 

Assuming this is the case, I have seen this and in fact opened a support request with Atlassian many months ago. I received an answer for this but unfortunately I no longer have access to the Atlassian account where this Q&A was presented. I believe you will find that the Customers page represents all customers recorded in your instance. However, the individuals listed there do no necessarily have access to the project as a customer. The customers are explicitly declared under project settings > people. 

I will try to find an official explanation for why this phenomenon exists. IMO this is an ugly side effect of how customers are (or may be) managed in JSM. 

below is an illustration of this issue.

There are 250 names listed under Customers

13F56458-098F-4EAB-9E83-E1BC9B19957B.jpeg

but only 1 actual customer has access as illustrated under the People page

4936DB46-FC47-4C96-A5AF-1731F6E17A86.jpeg

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2022

To be clear the Customers page illustrates the number of issues open and closed by customer so all of the customers not part of the project will always show 0 for the count.

Hines Trulock July 11, 2022

Thank you @Jack Brickey Let me know what you find out.  For People, it only has the Agents who are part of JSM and work on issues.  

I was just hoping the Customers screen would only show customers who have actually submitted issues.  

0 votes
Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 11, 2022

Hi @Hines Trulock this depends on the "Customer permissions" set for the project, and the JSM product "Customer access" settings. My org has 2 JSM projects, Project A and B, A lists all Atlassian licensed users as Customers, and B only lists users I've added to the People tab of the project. 

My JSM "Customer access" settings are set to:

• Internal accounts, Use approved domains is enabled
  • External accounts, disabled
  • Portal access, don't allow customers to create their own accounts is enabled

Project A "Customer permissions" are set to:

• Service project access, anyone allowed on the customer access settings is enabled

Project B "customer permissions" are set to:

• Service project access, Customers added to this service project only by agents and admins

When I view the Customers page of Project A it states "Everyone with an account on this Jira instance is a customer". When I view the Customers page of Project B it states "This service project is open to customers who are added to the project". 

When I provision new users they're automatically added to Project A as a Customer, but they're not added to the Project A's "People" page within settings. Additionally, new users are only added to Project B as Customers if they're a member of a group that is mapped to a project role within Project B's "People" page. 

0 votes
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2022

Hi @Hines Trulock ,

what do you mean with "shows all our JIRA users"? Please could you provide us a screenshot in order to figure out your problem?

Fabio

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events