cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to create Projects?

Tom Samplonius
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 26, 2023

I'm familiar with ticket support in general, but have little hands-on experience with JSM.

I have a small organization (6 to 10) with a small number of high-value customers (~ 75).  We only add maybe 4 customers a year, so those are high priority.  We only get about 4 support requests per month from the entire customer population, and these are also a priority.

What I'm uncertain about is how many Projects to create?

Since incoming requests could come from new customers, or existing customers, I was wondering if I should create a project for "Tier 1", and then use this project to let staff review issues, and then move to some other project?  And perhaps other projects could be "New Customer", or "Existing Customer"?

This seems very granular though, and could create a lot of clicks and keypresses for the staff (who all hate ticket systems and want something light).  Could I do everything in one Project?  The only request that needs a Workflow, will be new customer requests.  Every other issue will just have a "Help the customer until the customer is completely helped" workflow.

Any general guidelines for creating the right Projects for a given work environment?

1 comment

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2023

Hi @Tom Samplonius and welcome to the community.

Well, one approach is to have all your customers in a single Project.

Another is to create one Project per customer.

Third is to have a Project per product that you have, if you have any products (for example Atlassian, it would be one Jira Project, one Confluence Project, etc.).

With so few tickets per month (4 tickets from all of your 75 customers combined), I would suggest drafting up the all customers in a single Project approach. Solution that and see what challenges you run into. Like, does each customer want to share his/her tickets with the entire organization (i.e. one of those 75). Then you will have to create 75 organizations in the customer part, etc.

The benefit of having just one organization is simplicity (for example in the Portal), less Projects to manage and upkeep. On the other hand, you will have lots of organizations in that one Project.

HTH,
KGM

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events