cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to copy issues from one project to another

Zaldy Parian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2023

Hi all,

We created another JSM project and we want to copy issues from the old project to the new. What is the best way to achieve this?

We want to keep the issues from old project and have the permission updated to read-only. I cannot use bulk move because it will remove the issues from old project.

Only crude way I could think of is to export the issues to a CSV or Excel file and then import the issues to the new project.

Any suggestions, please?

Regards,

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2023

@Zaldy Parian Your crude way would be the only way to do it without an app from the Atlassian marketplace. There are apps that allow you to clone the issues.  You could try them for free and see if they will work from you.

Zaldy Parian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2023

Thanks @Brant Schroeder ,

I'll search for a free apps that will help me with this.

Regards,

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2023

@Zaldy Parian You can use a paid app as well.  If you are using it for the first time it should have a 30 day free trial.  If you like it and you think you can use it to accomplish this more often you could always purchase it.

Like Zaldy Parian likes this
Thibaut Subra _Elements_
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 13, 2023

Hello @Zaldy Parian 

Indeed, if you want to try an app for free, we developed an app called Copy & Sync that will help you with that. Using our bulk copy, you can clone all your project issues as well as the hierarchy (from Epic to subtasks).

Let me know if you need more information, I'll be glad to help!

Regards

Thibaut

1 vote
Sanjog Sigdel
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 10, 2023

@Zaldy Parian I would suggest you to move issues to new project using bulk operation.

1. In the issue navigator search for Project = "Your Project Name"
  2. Now Perform Bulk Operation and move them to another JSM Project.

Screenshot from 2023-09-11 11-57-37.png

Bulk Operation works for both Jira Projects and Jira Service management projects.

Limitation and Work Around

Limitation :- The Limitation about jira query is that by default in the  we can list only 1000 issues.

Workaround :-  Perform bulk operation twice thrice or N times unless all of your tickets are migrated to new project. It is not much of a hard work. Its simple redundant activity which gets your job done.

Zaldy Parian
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2023

Hi @Sanjog Sigdel ,

Thanks for moving it will remove it from the source project. Our business requirement is to keep it in the source and migrate it to the target project.

But I guess, I'll try some free apps that can do this trick.

Regrads,

Like Sanjog Sigdel likes this
0 votes
Luka Hummel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 12, 2023

Hi @Zaldy Parian

You can try out our app Deep Clone for Jira. I think our Bulk Clone feature would be perfect for your use case.

The app is free to try for 30 days and if you have 10 or less Jira users on your instance you can continue to use the app for free 🙂

Zaldy Parian
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 12, 2023

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events