What happens to emails sent to the service desk Jira email without a ticket reference?

Paul Hitchcock April 27, 2022

If a user emails to the default email address "jira@mydomain.atlassian.net" but it's not a reply to a help ticket so there is no ticket reference, what happens to it? Is there a way to have it forwarded to us or notify us that a customer tried to reach us but used an email address that doesn't reach anyone?

1 answer

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2022

Hey @Paul Hitchcock ,

That actually depends on how your mail handler is set up.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/receive-requests-from-an-email-address/

By default yes it will work when it can find the reference or it will create a new ticket (you can see the documentation for that).

If you don't want to have an actual ticket created in one of your processes, you could create a new issuetype, link it to a request type and have it as some kind of "Email" issue type that you could then convert if needed?

Paul Hitchcock April 27, 2022

We have a project email address of support@mydomain.com and all emails to this get picked up and turned into tickets. When the notifications go out it uses the notification email of jira@mydomain.atlassian.net.

When customer send a new email to the Notification email address, no ticket is generated.

Would it be best to change the Notification email address to match the same email that is the project email address? It looks like I can do that if I add the domain and setup DMARC.

Or are you saying that I can also configure the email handler to create tickets if emails are sent directly to the Notification address?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events