Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if I remove a project from a Field?

Ben Weisman January 13, 2022

Hello,

I have a dropdown field that has a different selector list based on which project it is configured to.

For example:

FIELD A:

Project 1

FIELD A:

Project 2

Even if I add options 1,2 and 3 underneath the list for Project #2, I can't seem to retain the info when moving tickets from Project 1 to Project 2. How can I best retain the info?

1 answer

3 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

@Ben Weisman 

Hi Ben:

Are both projects - Company Managed Type?  If they are Team Managed Type, then the field setup cannot be shared.  Thus, the values will not be retained.

However, if your projects are Company Managed Type, then the custom field (assuming Field A is a custom field) is setup in Settings >> Issues >> Custom Fields.  The field itself have different context to support both project A and B.  If you added option 1, 2, and 3 to the option context for project B, then when you move issues from project A to project B, the field value will automatically be retained.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Ben Weisman January 13, 2022

@Joseph Chung Yin Thanks. Is this the case for both server and Cloud?

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

@Ben Weisman -

Company Managed/Team Managed types are only applicable in the CLOUD env.  In Data Center (server) env, all projects are company managed.

In Data Center (server), the custom fields configuration are the same as what you get in the CLOUD env Company Managed typed project.

Best, Joseph

Ben Weisman January 14, 2022

Thanks @Joseph Chung Yin . The problem is that even if I put the same name as an option in the destination project it is not retaining. When bulk moving the dropdown says Option A (Not Available), even though I've created another option with the same name. Any ideas?

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2022

@Ben Weisman -

There has to be some differences between the original option value and the new option value that you added for project B context for the same custom field. (i.e. extra space etc..)

Doing the bulk move operation, it should automatically mapped if the values are exactly the same.

Best, Joseph

@Joseph Chung Yin Please see the error I'm getting attached. I'm trying to get windows to auto map but it refuses.Capture.PNG

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2022

@Ben Weisman -

After doing more analysis, the best solution is for one to generate an export (CSV) containing the issue key, summary, and the field in question prior to the move from project a to project b.

After the issue is moved from project a to project b, then conduct a CSV update using External System Import to update the field in question value associated with project b's context dropdown value.  (even if the values are the same). 

Or, you will need to select the appropriate value manually to resolve the internal ID error during the move operation.

I was surprised that it no longer automatically mapped the value during move or bulk move operation.

Thanks for your input and patience.

Best, Joseph

@Joseph Chung Yin What If I moved Project B to the configuration from Project A for that field? I'd have to unassociated first before associating to the new. Would I lose all current data in that field?

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2022

If you move project B to use the same context configuration used by project A, then any issue in project B where the field is populated will get wiped out.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events