Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We currently track our customers license expiry dates in a Sharepoint list. How can I use JSM?

Gareth Jones May 14, 2024

I manage the service desk for a software firm. We currently list all of our clients license expiry dates, cert expiry dates, etc... in a Sharepoint list. This isn't ideal as it's easy for users to mistakenly change dates without realising.

How can we utilise JSM to keep track of these expiry dates instead? What I really want is something that can alert me when an expiry date is coming up. I also assume that if we use JSM for this, then I may be able to link the licenses to the exact customer.

I have had a look at the Jira Service Management Assets, but I'm struggling to see how to build notifications based on the dates entered.

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2024

@Gareth Jones 

Using Assets in JSM is really a good way to manage the licenses and dates you've been looking for.

When it comes to a way of notifying you of upcoming license expiration dates, you can use the following:

Have in your objects an attribute of type 'Date' where you will say that this date would be the expiration date of these licenses.

In Jira, go to Global Automations > For Trigger use a Scheduled and configure it to run according to your needs (Don't define JQL query in the scheduled).

Then use a lookup Objects action > Select your schema and define an AQL query to search for your assets.

In this example I've created an attribute called "License Expiration Date" and I want to retrieve all the objects that this attribute is about to expire in the next 30 days.

So my query would look like this: "License Expiration Date" < now(30d) AND "License Expiration Date" >= now(-1d)

Next, just use the {{lookupObjects}} variable to find out which objects fit your query.

For example, {{lookupObjects.key}} will return the keys of the objects identified in the query and {{lookupObjects.Name}} will tell you the names of these objects.

Use the resource to bring in any other attributes of this object you wish and these variables can be used in an email or any other 'Action' you wish to use throughout this automation to announce the license period is expiring.

Hope this helps you to find your way.

Regards,

Fernando

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders