Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using automation to link issues

Martina Young September 21, 2022

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me . I'm trying to see if I can create an automation rule to link issues together based on a value in one of the custom fields.

The custom field contains a unique issue number and I would like that issue to be linked with the current issue.

When an issue is created and issue number field is not empty, copy the value, look up the issue and if it's equal to link issues together.

Is this possible?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2022

Hi @Martina Young - Yes this should be possible.  It would look something like this:

• TRIGGER: Issue Created
  • CONDITION: YOURCUSTOMFIELD Is not empty
  • ACTION: Link issues
    • Select the desired link type
    • {{issue.YOURCUSTOMFIELD}}

Hi @Mark Segall
Thanks for your response.

I have used add comment action as issue can not be found with digits only and must include project reference (SSRCE).

Error linking issues

: At least one of 'id' or 'key' is required to identify an issue.

I have used Add comment action as custom field only contains the number and it will not find related issue.

Like Syd Heller likes this

Jira rule.JPG

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2022

Since your target project is static, you should be able to avoid the whole branch by doing this with your link:

SSRCE-{{issue.Early Engagement ticket number}}
Like Martina Young likes this

Thanks you. I've managed to do it this way as I was getting an error messages.

EE and FE linking.JPG

Like Mark Segall likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events