cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Organizations in a JSM Service Project

Danielle E_ Beebe
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 3, 2024

Hello, my team and I provide IT support to clients from multiple companies for their use of our proprietary app and we use JSM to manage their requests. Both users and their supervisors contact us for support and we've decided we want to have more transparency regarding tickets with the supervisors/clients utilizing our service, so that they can easily view not only their own tickets but all tickets for their company.

Ideally, we want the supervisors for specific clients (I'll say the Smiths) to see all of the tickets created for the Smiths' users, but we don't want them to see tickets belonging to other clients (the Johnsons, for example) on the same project. As of right now, we have a single Service Project where all of our service requests come in. 

I recently learned about the ability to add organizations to JSM projects and would like to know:

1) If it's possible to add multiple organizations to a single JSM project and then simply assign the tickets to that org? That way, in theory, if the clients open the JSM portal they can see all tickets assigned to the organization they are a part of

2) If this is doable, how do I assign specific tickets to an organization? Can I bulk select tickets to add to the organization or do would they need to be individually added to the org? Or would I assign all the users to specific organizations, rather than individual tickets?

3) If it's the users that I have to assign: a) can I assign them without having to send them an invitation to join (since some users will definitely never accept/follow up) and b) can I assign them to multiple organizations? 

Sorry, this is so many questions, I'm trying to figure out a way to do this that doesn't involve having to create many new projects for each individual client. Any help would be appreciated and I'm happy to provide more details if needed to answer my questions. Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2024

Hi @Danielle E_ Beebe and welcome to the Community!

I'll try to be concise and to the point 😛 ... I would recommend you read up on the JSM documentation on managing organizations first, so you know what they are and how they can help you. In addition and for a more direct answer to your questions:

1. Yes, it is possible to add multiple organizations to a single project. JSM has an Organization field that you can fill out, thus assigning the organization to an issue. In the Requests view on the portal, customers can search for issues shared with their organization.
  2. You can assign issues to an organization manually, but that is not very scalable. You may want to look into this support article that describes how you can use automation to fill out the organization based on the ticket's reporter.
  3. Yes, you can assign people to organizations as a Jira admin without having to invite them, as long as they already have an account on your site.

For more details on how to - check the support article link I shared.

Hope this helps!

Danielle E_ Beebe
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 5, 2024

Hi, this is super helpful thank you!

I read through the links you provided, which are super beneficial, but have a couple follow up questions/clarification points that I'm hoping you might be able to answer.

1) If the user doesn't have an account on our side, then their tickets won't be visible, even if we "assign" them to the project, is that correct?

2) For the Service Team Members, or the Agents, since they also create tickets on behalf of many users and organizations, what would be the best way to assign those tickets? I would think manually as they come in, since we don't want all of the tickets my team creates visible to everyone, because we create tickets for multiple orgs and we want to compartmentalize the information accessible to them, but is there a better way?

Again, thanks for your help, you've given me lots of info to go off of.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events