Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Custom Field to Create Template for Description Field

Jonathan April 20, 2022

Hi. I am trying to prefill the description field of an issue with a text template. I understand the native description field is a core field for JIRA so I have created a custom field titled "Description Software Approval" and I have defined the values by adding in the prefilled text I want. When I go to create an issue I now see the core Description field as well as my custom Description field and my text is prefilled. Nice progress but I just want one description field vs my users seeing the core description and the custom description. I am stuck at figuring out how to edit the workflow transitions and post-functions so that the value from my custom description field populates in to my core description field. Based on other posts I've read I need to create a post function to copy the value of my custom description inside my core description field. When I look at available post functions, I see one titled "Copy field values [ScriptRunner]". Is that indeed the post function I should use? I have not yet purchased ScriptRunner so I am also curious if I can accomplish this without the add on.

Thank you for any advice!

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2022

I would recommend that you do buy the scriptrunner plugin.
This is a great add-on that expands Jira usage basically to your own imagination.

Scriptrunner has a feature called Behaviors that allows you to do a great many things to system or custom fields on screen load. or field update (like hiding a field if another field is selected, or changing the values in a pulldown based on another selection).
Meaning you don't need a custom description field to populate the Description field with your requirements.
I've done exactly what you are looking for many many times using Behaviors.

I would recommend that you look into this further to satisfy your requirements.

Thanks
-CN

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2022

@Jonathan have a review of this page

Scriptrunner behaviours-tutorial 
Exactly what you are looking for ==
Look for this section:

Examples of Behaviours

Add a Default Description Behaviour

Like Rebeca Moreira Lopes likes this
Jonathan April 20, 2022

Thank you for this Craig!

Like # people like this
Shereen Magistrado October 18, 2022

Thank you, Craig! I remember we created one before. Now I will be doing it again in one of my projects. The Scroptrunner Behaviour works like a charm.

Like Craig Nodwell likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events