Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Atlassian Assist, is there a way to notify approvers added after the approval step.

Joel Rauch October 10, 2022

Using this I was able to set up an approval flow where a user creates a ticket in Slack, adds approvers from the Portal, and it automatically sends a notification (via the Assist app) to the Approvers. Pretty slick. 

Is there a way to notify new approvers added to the ticket after it's reached the approval part of the workflow? 

I'm imagining a scenario where the person who submits the request misses an approver and needs to add them later or the assignee might want to add someone. 

My first thought was to create another automation rule to cycle back through the process but I'm worried it will just ping all the approvers again.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2022

@Joel Rauch -

By default (out of the box) - you can locate the system notification template setup for notifying approvers when issue moves into the approval status automatically - Project settings >> Customer Notifications section UI.  You will see the event named "Approval Required".

I don't believe one can configure the approval required process to only notify the newest approver without notifying all existing approvers again.

However, you may be able to create automation rule to trigger off "Approval Required" event - https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-automation-triggers/#Approval-required, and then use smart value to process the approvers (list object) to get the newest approver added by processing the list - https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-lists/.  Afterward, send out custom email notification using the automation rule.  Keep in mind, this may still not able to stop the out of the box notification from notifying all the approvers.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Joel Rauch October 11, 2022

Thank Joseph!

I found the notification settings you mentioned and noticed that it seems to only trigger when it moves through the workflow (lame). I attempted your solution but wasn't having much luck. I would receive the email but Slack wouldn't ping me.

I tried creating an automation that cycles on the same status "Waiting for approval" and it didn't work.

I then created another status, Intermediate, (using the link I mentioned above) and automated it through that status instead. Below is what helped for me and so far so good.Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 4.33.01 PM.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events