Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Users don´t get mail notifications

Florian Fichtner April 17, 2023

We have two Jira Users with this strange notfication problems. One Agent and one Customer. The Helpdesk Agent gets no Mails from Jira since 01.03.2023. He is in an Admin Group with the same rights as the other agents also his notfitication settings are the same as the settings of another Agent that gets the mails. We also have one customer that doesn´t get the mails when any Agent is answering her request, she only gets the information via the online portal. She is also in an AD-Group where other 10 people don´t have this issue. We have also already checked our mail server and there are no mails sent from Jira, so there is no spam filtering.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2023

Hi Florian,

I found there were several bounced messages to users on your domain.  I have cleared these suppressions from Atlassian's side.  Try it now to see if users can receive notifications.

Just for your information, the bounce message from the SMTP server was

Amazon SES did not send the message to this address because it is on the suppression list for your account. For more information about removing addresses from the suppression list, see the Amazon SES Developer Guide at https://docs.aws.amazon.com/ses/latest/DeveloperGuide/sending-email-suppression-list.html

If you are still not receiving these notifications, I would recommend showing this message to your mail administrator so that they can troubleshoot this further.  This kind of error message would tend to indicate that your mail server might be configured in such a way to restrict or quarantine messages like these.

Regards,

Andy

Florian Fichtner April 18, 2023

Hi Andy,

the notifications for my user (the agent with the problem) is now working perfect. The Problem at the customer site is still the same. I´ve tested this several times since mine is working fine. I will sent the information from the amazon ses to our backend administrator maybe he can find the problem at our site.

Thanks for your quick help so far.

Regards,

Florian

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 18, 2023

@Florian Fichtner If you can provide the customer's email to me here, I can search to see if it's suppressed by our system.  I can then remove it from this post if need be.

Alternatively, you could reach out to one of your site-admins.  Those users can create a support request with our Cloud support teams.  Those teams can also help to see if you have multiple customer email domains you want to have us investigate in a private manner.

Florian Fichtner April 20, 2023

Hello Andy, i´ve tested this some time now. my backend worker has changed the _dmarc settings at the DNS but the issue is the same. Other things haven´t changed in that time.

The Mail of the user with the Problem is s.p....@gewo.net. My mail is still working fine only her mail has the problems now.

Regards,

Florian

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
April 20, 2023

I found that account was still being suppressed with a SMTP response of:

2023-04-20T11:24:43.000Z b712e674-daac-4d78-bd8e-9c8ac894377b i**********@g****.net s******@g****.net bounce Amazon SES did not send the message to this address because it is on the suppression list for your account. For more information about removing addresses from the suppression list, see the Amazon SES Developer Guide at https://docs.aws.amazon.com/ses/latest/DeveloperGuide/sending-email-suppression-list.html

I have removed the suppression from Atlassian's side.  Try to see if you can send a new notification to that address from Jira Cloud.  If it is still not received I can investigate further.

Like Florian Fichtner likes this
Florian Fichtner April 21, 2023

Hello Andy,

now everything is working fine. Can you tell us how our users got on this supression list or which faulty config is responsible for this?

Thank you very much for your support.

Greatings, Florian

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
April 21, 2023

It usually happens because the destination mail server has rejected the message for some reason.  Our logging here only goes back 30 days, and I can't see back far enough to see the original reject message.  But in other cases it tends to happen when the mailbox is disabled or unable to accept mail.  If that happens, the SMTP server rejects that message. 

In turn Atlassian's mail server will suppress future notifications to that address to avoid being added to mail server blocklists. 

If you notice this happen again, please let us know as soon as possible. This way we can investigate further to see if we can find a more conclusive cause in the reject message.

Cheers,

Andy

Like # people like this
1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2023

Hi @Florian Fichtner , there are instances where an email can become blacklisted. I have tagged this for someone to have a look.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events