Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Profile Field Customization

Martin Murphy January 19, 2023

Hi all,

We use Okta for our IdP and I have an IT helpdesk portal in Jira Service Management. I'm trying to create a workflow that notifies a user's manager for approval when the user completes an access request form.

All of my Okta users have their manager in their profile. Can I add fields to Atlassian user profiles so I can push the user's manager from Okta, then reference it in the workflow? Currently the only fields available are name, email address, title, department, and location.

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2023

Hi @Martin Murphy,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Yes, you can sync the manager over, we do that so you can see the manager when you click on someones profile or see the org chart in Atlas.

But there isn't a way of using that information in an automation. So the workaround would be to use an Okta workflow that is triggered from an automation that notifies the manager. We do it using tray.io to look up the manager and add them as the approver to application requests. 

Martin Murphy January 19, 2023

Thanks Mikael! I think this is enough to go on.

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this
0 votes
Eduardo Oliveira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 10, 2023

Hello @Martin Murphy - nice to meet you 👋🏻

If you’re open to use a third-part app I would like to recommend potential alternative solution - Mindpro Sync - User Attributes from OKTA, Azure & OneLogin

This app allows you to integrate with identity providers like Okta, Azure AD, and OneLogin to display user attributes inside Jira and JSM issues (and Portal).

Sync - Mapping.png

Additionally you can:

• You can choose to display data for the issue Reporter, Assignee or any other User field
  • Select and map the user attributes to be displayed in Jira issues or JSM requests
  • Show user hierarchy in issue panel and JSM requests to facilitate escalation and approvals
  • these attributes data to create JQL queries, filters, dashboards, or show in the list of issues
  • Automatically assign approvers based on user hierarchy or via workflow post function

This app has a 30-day free trial version with full support and onboarding assistance included. If you want, we'd love to offer you a live demo where you can talk about your specific needs.

Hope it helps,
Eduardo, from Mindpro team

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events