cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usecase: Using Jira Service Desk to Channel Requests

Benjamin Horst
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2024

Hello,

we are currently stuck at a use case and maybe someone has a good idea on this. 

Goal

Our goal is to channel incoming requests to bring them to different teams. At first from JSM to Jira Software and in a second step to 3rd party systems. 

Description

The requests have some questions that need to be answered. 

"When did it happen?"

"What is the general behavior?" and so on.

The fields will need to be extracted to a Jira Software Project and in a third party application later.

What we tried to date

Using Custom Fields

We could let the users fill out Multiline Custom Fields in the mask for every question. But there are 5-10 and we don't want to name CFs like "When did this happen?".

This solution would work, but is not a nice way to work with CFs.

Using Issue Template Apps  

We thought about using "Issue Template" Apps to enrich the description field with predefined questions. 

But these Apps are not able to prefill the description field. They are able to work with the forms, but then I can use the form fields directly. This doesn't help much.

Using forms

Regularly I'd use Forms for these kind of questions if everybody would work with JSM.

But we want to synchronize the resulting answers to other systems. I have read that this behavior is getting rolled out to Jira Software soon. So we might be able to display Forms in Jira Software, too.  But I haven't seen an API to extract the forms and convert them into another field or to extract them into another system in the JSM API documentation. So this doesn't seem an option either. 

Has anyone set something like this up already or has a good idea on how to start? Currently I just tend to use CFs, since I don't see another option on how to accomplish this.

1 comment

Benjamin Horst
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 12, 2024

To whom it may concern: We went for the variant with the custom fields and synchronize them with a description field in a Jira project. All synchs to 3rd party tools are done from the Jira projects.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events