Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update summary field on ticket submission

AJohnston June 23, 2022

I have a single user select field on my form. I would like to update the Summary to include the selected user's name when the form is submitted. For example, the summary would start out with "New Hire: ", but after submission, it would say "New Hire: Jane Doe".

I'm also hoping to be able to add values from multiple fields into the summary field. Maybe there's a dropdown with "New Hire" and "Rehire" options, so the summary would be "New Hire: Jane Doe" or "Rehire: Jane Doe".

While I know you can link a field on a form to an issue field, you can't link multiple fields to issue fields, and when I've tried to use automation to do what I'm asking, it's failed to generate results.

I also tried to hide the summary field and set a value, but hidden fields don't appear to accept dynamic data.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2022

Hi @AJohnston,

It may be useful to have a look at the smart values documentation. It is perfectly possible to create an automation rule that retrieves values from your issue and then updates your issue summary.

This simple example illustrates how you can update the summary field after the issue gets created by appending the value from another field, in this case "Job title":

Screenshot 2022-06-23 at 20.07.21.png

Hope this helps!  

AJohnston June 23, 2022

That would require me to create dedicated issue fields/linked Jira fields to hold those values. I don't think there's a way to utilize the free fields on Forms without sending the values to issue fields, is there?

AJohnston July 1, 2022

Okay, I did that, but when Form Submitted, and while the summary update was fabulous (thank you!), I couldn't figure out exactly what "submitted" means, because it didn't fire off when a request with attached form was created, so it appeared fairly random when the automation would fire off.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events