Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update linked issue based only on comment, not transition

Chris Stival May 24, 2023

I have an agent who wants their linked issues to update the original issue based only on comments in the linked issue, and not based on transition of the linked issue.

This is 1st line support linking (escalating) an issue to 2nd line support. The 2nd line team might not necessarily transition the issue, but could rather add a comment to the issue, perhaps asking 1st line for more information. 1st line wants to have their issue updated (transitioned) back to a status that will require their attention.

From what I can tell, it seems like the automation will only update the issue based on a workflow transition. Is that correct?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2023

Hi @Chris Stival ,

If you create an automation rule with a trigger on Comment and you include a branch for the linked issue in the rule.
Then you can carry out the transition on the linked issue within the branche.

See the screenshot.

Regards, Marco

Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 14.15.04.png

Hi @Marco Brundel I'll start there, thanks!

Like Marco Brundel likes this
Chris Stival May 25, 2023

@Marco Brundel I think this will work fine. I was trying too hard to do this with legacy automations, when really the new type are so packed with features there's no reason not to use them.

Like Marco Brundel likes this
1 vote
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

Hi @Chris Stival 

When you say that the FLS (first level support) is escalating the issue to the SLS, you mean that they create a linked issue to another project, or the same project? In addition, are the FSL and SLS users belong to dedicated jira groups or have dedicated roles?

So although the rule that @Marco Brundel could work (I would add a bit more stuff in it like who's commenting on it) your info it's not enough to provide a solid answer. Can you share a few more details?

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ The linked issue is going to another project, in the same cloud instance. The SLS agents are members of a different group, but have the same roles within their own project.

In this case, the linked issue won't be seen by customers as it's an internal SLS project, and the customer is FLS. The responses will only be made by non-customers.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events