Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to turn on "Email Support" for Jira Service Management

Tobias Kruse September 29, 2022

Hello,

We are evaluating JSM as an alternative for our current ticket system. We've created a test project to play with and one of the first steps was to enable mail support.

When trying to enable the feature its giving us the following error message:

Error
Unable to create new mail channel due to connection duplication. Provided mail connection definition is currently used by another mail channel.

Did I miss some sort of requirement for this to work? 

1 answer

1 vote
Lisa Förstberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2022

Hi

This should work! Even on a free plan you should be able to test and get going with incoming emails. You might need to add a support request to Atlassian. 

I would've first checked the https://YOURDOMAIN.atlassian.net/jira/settings/products/jira-service-management-email-requests 

Here you should find a list of projects using incoming emails - are anyone of these incoming emailaddresses duplicated? I just imagine it will be hard for jira to route issues to the correct project if two projects have the same address.  

br

Lisa

Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2022

@Tobias Kruse 
Welcome to the community !!

As said by @Lisa Förstberg , One email can be mapped/integrated to only one project. 

Thank you both for your quick reply. 

The URL I've created is brand new and has no other projects nor does it have any emails.
I tested with the URL you've provided but the "Email Requests" section is completely empty as you would expect since I just started playing with JSD. 

Lisa Förstberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2022

super weird!

Next I would check https://YOUR DOMAIN.atlassian.net/secure/admin/IncomingMailServers.jspa 

Here you see the "real" incoming mail box and can define a mailhandler that would control the Jira behaviour when managing incoming emails.

Maybe this is where you get the error message? 

Also I probably would have fiddled with the address on the specific project just to see if it reacts.

Screenshot 2022-09-29 at 14.33.44.png

What I noticed is that when I click on "Administration" I'll see two default products which have the same URL - was thinking if this could be part of the issue as for our other jira products that we use each have their own URL.
image.png

On the link you mentioned we still have the default configured - which is "jira@MYDOMAIN..atlassian.net". I'll try if it helps to configure my mail server there... will report back here once done.

On the specific project the section looks like this. If I try to turn the feature on this is where I get the error.

image.png

Lisa Förstberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2022

Hi

I don't think the URLs are wrong. Looks like that in many of the sites I administer. 

In jira cloud you will get a standard jira@MYDOMAIN..atlassian.net when initiating a cloud site. It means that all traffic really goes via this mail box.

When you create a project and then "turn on email support" you sort of get one alias for this project to help sort the different incoming emails to the correct project. PROJECTKEY@MYDOMAIN..atlassian.net

Something is unwell in your new site. I would recommend reaching out to Atlassian Support to see whats up behind the scene. They are quite quick on responding!

Thank you, Lisa. The issue is I can't yet reach out to them since my site is still on the free plan and my goal was to evaluate if this tool even meets our requirements before actually purchasing it. 

I do agree that something is wrong I might just completely start over with a different domain if thats possible. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events