Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to change the issue type of existing ticket

Terri Tobin April 5, 2023

Says "you cannot edit this issue type in this project." I am the Org Admin and the Permission Helper returns the result that I should be able complete the change but I am not able move beyond the message noted above. 

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

Hi @Terri Tobin,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Does both issue types, the current one and the new one you are trying to change to, use the same workflow? If the answer is that they are using different workflows then you would have to use the move option in order to change the issue type. 

Thanks @Mikael Sandberg

When I open the ticket and hover over the issue icon, it shows the red circle with the line through it and the message, "You cannot edit this issue type in this project." So I'm not even getting to the point of trying to change it to another that has the same or different workflow. In short, it doesn't allow me to do anything with that issue via that icon in an existing ticket and I can't figure out how to try to change it via another method. 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

Okay so if you click on the issue key again, that will take you to the detailed view instead of the hovering one. Now if you click on the issue type icon you should see all the issue types in the project.

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 3.54.08 PM.png

Then just select the one you want to move to. If the new issue type is on the same workflow it will just do the switch. If the are not on the same workflow it will open up the move function and you can select the new issue type from here. 

Maybe it's due to something with the project setup or permissions? When I click on the issue key, it only provides the message about not being able to edit it. 

2023-04-05_19-02-06.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2023

That can appear when there are no issue types you can edit the "field" to.  Either the workflow or the fields are different (to the current issue type) for all the other issue types.

Ah, gotcha, thanks! I'll try investigating that now. 

Currently, all of the issue types are mapped to the same workflow. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2023

And all the fields configured identically?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events