Transition an issue from another project using an automation

Nicolas Gomez January 17, 2023

Hi all! Previously I made an automation that clones an issue (ISSUE-1) from project "A" to project "B" when the aforementioned issue is transitioned to a particular status. So I have:

• PROJECT A -> ISSUE 1
  • PROJECT B -> CLONE - ISSUE1

Well, now I need to create another automation to transition that cloned issue (CLONE - ISSUE1) to another status when the ISSUE1 is transitioned. Both destination status have different names. I tried with the "Transition Issue" task but this is not useful for me.

Is this possible? How?

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2023

Hi Nicolas - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Does your first automation rule link the two issues after the second one is cloned? And if so, what is the link type? 

Nicolas Gomez January 18, 2023

Yes! At the moment of cloning the ticket I set the field "Linked Issues" with the Values "Cloned by" and "Trigger Issue". This actions links both tickets. So the link is performed at the moment of cloning the ticket

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2023

Can you post what you have for the second rule so far? 

0 votes
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2023

Hi @Nicolas Gomez and welcome to the community,

Could you please share a screenshot of your rule? I´m not quite sure if I can follow correctly especially when we talk about "transition" which is a main part of workflows and status.

As far as I understood correctly it´s about the name of the issue after the clone.

Please corret me if I´m wrong and if possible please provide some screenshots that describe your problem.

Best
Stefan

Nicolas Gomez January 18, 2023

This is the first automation. Only in charge of cloning an linking the tickets1_jira-automation.png

Now, I want to create another automation to "sync" the status between this cloned tickets (Different projects, transitions and statuses). For instance, if the cloned ticket is moved (transitioned) to the status X of that project, I want this action triggers a status change in the original ticket (To the status Y, remember that both projects have different structures)

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2023

Hi @Nicolas Gomez 

The following rule is an example of what I guess your requirement is about. 

image.png

In my case the previous rule cloned an issue from project JT to project CC and setting the issue link (like in your screenshot).

Whenever (in my case issue type bug) issue in project JT is transitioned from "selected to development" to "Done" the branch checks if there is a linked issue of type "clones" in the trigger issue. If so the transition for that linked issue will be done.

Hope this was helpful. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Best
Stefan

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events