Tickets marked as Archive/Not Required are displayed under backlog in JIRA

Pallavi Patnaik April 22, 2021

Hi all,

Scenario: We, as a team came up with 30 user stories at the beginning of the sprint. But as we proceeded through the sprint, about 8 tickets were thought to be unnecessary and/or irrelevant. So, I created a column  "Archive/Not required" in the JIRA board. We moved these 8 tickets to "Archive/Not required".

Problem: Once the sprint was completed, these 8 tickets are being listed in backlogs. 

These are the tickets that we don't have to and don't want to work on. How do I get rid of them from "Backlogs". But I don't want to delete them, in case I want to work in the later sprints.

Please suggest a solution.

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2021

Hi @Pallavi Patnaik,

This is because you are not setting a value in the resolution field when you move tickets to that status. When there is no resolution on a ticket, Jira considers those as open issues and because of that still shows them in your backlog.

Make sure that in your workflow you set a resolution automatically or require the user to add a resolution through a transition screen. 

Pallavi Patnaik April 22, 2021

Hi @Walter Buggenhout ,

Thank you for the reply!

What do you mean by I have to set a resolution? Please refer to the screenshot for the transitions that I have applied. Board.png

Best regards,

Pallavi Patnaik 

Pallavi Patnaik April 27, 2021

Hi @Walter Buggenhout 

Could you please reply?

Thanks in advance !

Best regards,

Pallavi Patnaik 

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2021

As far as I understood "Archive/Not required" status should be of type "done" but not of type "in Progress". Current setup causes them indeed going back to backlog.

Using this article you should be able to fix your workflow:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/New-Features-Additional-Done-Statuses-Map-Multiple-Statuses-per/ba-p/1638591

Since March it is possible to have more than "done" status.

However please keep the following in mind:

If you’re running sprints, please map your Done statuses to the last column.

Steps 5.) + 6.) of the linked tutorial highly match your use case/scenario. Please try to adjust settings according to this guide - it should help achieving a setup just like you described and wish to have.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events