Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The message was rejected because it failed a DMARC validation check.

Tracey Bakewell June 23, 2021

1. A few weeks ago, I was trying to work on setting up our exchange server mailbox to integrate with JSM. Was having issues, and tabled the issue.

2. In the meantime, needed to test a new automation rule based on a user emailing a ticket directly to the JSM mailbox. Emailing JSM directly has been working all along, so the only thing that has changed in the environment was any troubleshooting we did as noted in 1 above.

The automation rule I need to test is more important than the Exchange Server work.

When emailing JSM, I am now receiving this error in the email log:

The message was rejected because it failed a DMARC validation check.

DMARC-validation email filter

I'm not sure where to start or what I could have done in the earlier steps to bring this new problem on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

7 answers

0 votes
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2022

Hi - anyone got any reply to these? Or am I clearly missing something? :D

0 votes
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2022

Any update or feedback on this please? I have added a domain to the allowlist but recent emails coming in are still rejected with a "Failed a DMARC validation check" message.

Please advise?

0 votes
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2022

Hi. Thanks for this post thread. We got the same on a SD that is set up to get emails to the SD email address that is a member of a group on our M365 tenant. Is there any issue around that? Are there any best practices around this? Thank you

0 votes
Sam Beadle September 27, 2021

Did this get resolved?

having the same issue where my customers can’t email issue in!

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2021

Hi @Tracey Bakewell

I have a fear that the problem is to be searched in your Exchange server environment, not in Jira Service Management configuration.

There is a bunch of tips, questions and articles around DMARC (one good example here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/DMARC-might-be-blocking-your-email-notifications-from-Jira/ba-p/1441768) but this talks about outgoing mail (from Jira Service Management, to the outside world, using your own domain).

If I understood you correctly the problem arises during receiving mail (getting a request into your helpdesk f.e.). There is nothing to be found in Community and I don't believe the issue then is with Cloud environment as such.

Also when you say you can mail in through Gmail without any issues it makes me think there would have been changed anything in your Exchange's configuration.
In case there are admins you could talk to regarding this service/machine I'd probably do this first.

Please upate Community members here what you have found out - I am out of further ideas but in case you can provide more insights/details some members could probably advise further.

Regards,
Daniel

Tracey Bakewell June 28, 2021

Thanks Daniel!

I did already review this with our Exchange Admins, and they reviewed everything on their end. I also showed them the DMARC article on the community, but none of it addresses this issue as you've stated.

The biggest thing to note is I have 2 instances of JSM, one works perfectly, it's the live production version. This one that I'm talking about is our test version so I can play with automation here first. It used to work fine, but now it doesn't. And, it coincidentally broke around me trying to configure our "other" mailbox to pull from an Exchange Server inbox (which in itself is a whole separate troubleshooting conversation).

0 votes

Our production JSM environment does not have this issue and I've matched all of the settings up, just have no idea where to go from here.

0 votes

Something I did just notice. I just tried a test. I sent an email from my personal @gmail.com account, and everything worked great! Email was received, ticket opened, and the automation rule I was testing seemed to work great! No DMARC error.

So, the error is only appearing when I sent an email from our internal Exchange server @prismrisk.gov. Again, this used to work. Not sure what I changed that would cause this new error.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events