Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Templates for knowledge base

lgolden November 16, 2022

When in jira service management and going o the knowledge base it gives the option to create an article though I dont see any way to use the templates aside from going into full conflience. Am I missing something or is this how its done to only create template articles directly in conflience? I would have thought you could pick a template on creation or have a default template or convert the blank page to a template. 

Please advise what is the best way to handle this,

Thanks

Lorne

3 answers

2 votes
Julien Peyrade @ Elements
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 17, 2022

Hello @lgolden 

If you don't mind using an add-on, Elements Publish to Confluence lets you do exactly what you are asking.

Full disclosure: I'm the Product Manager of the app.

With our app you can create Confluence pages from Jira issues. It integrates with Automation, but it has many more features than the native solution. Indeed, you can : 

• insert any Jira issue data in the Confluence page (and keep the value synchronized between the issue and the page if needed)
  • use any Confluence template you need or design the page yourself
  • automatically link the page to the issue
  • automatically copy attachments from Jira to Confluence

The app is free for 30 days, (and stays free if your instance is under 10 users), so feel free to give it a try, and don't hesitate to tell reach our Support if you have any question.

Kind regards,

Julien

lgolden November 17, 2022

thanks Julien .. ideally we are looking to find a way to do this without having to add cost. We currently have confluence licenses so at worst case can use the templates from confluence but it doesnt feel right when in the knowledge base of JSM not to be able to create a templated article.

Julien Peyrade @ Elements
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 17, 2022

You're welcome. I understand how pricing can be a blocker in certain cases, I hope you manage to reach a satisfying solution to your problem.

0 votes
lgolden January 13, 2023

What we ended up doing for this is accepting that to use templates the regular confluence license is needed and they go into confluence to create their documents with Templates in the right space for our ServiceDesk. If we dont have a confluence license then the JSM license for confluence allows you to create a basic article but then we have a confluence user template it. Not ideal but it allows us to work.

Nicholas Marsden January 13, 2023

This is a huge failure on Atlassian's part. A knowledge base by its nature should look professional and unified, as the audience is for customers outside of the IT team. 

Templates are the best way to ensure articles written by multiple people all look professional. We can create and use templates in Confluence, but not use the same templates when creating a Confluence page in Jira? Who missed that when they rolled out the Knowledge Base? That person, or the manager of that team, needs to be fired. 

And requiring a plugin to do basic tasks in Jira is one of the reasons I can't stand the platform and wouldn't be using it if I didn't have to. Unfortunately, I can't convince my CTO to make a change.

Like # people like this
Han-Minh Tran August 2, 2023

I do fully agree. 

- in Jira service items there is a template dropdown menu for templates to choose from

- in Confluence I can create templates for my knowledge base space

==> so where is the catch to connect these two parts (for which we pay licences each...)?

please vote on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-460

0 votes
Hamza Chundrigar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2022

Hi @lgolden 

Yes, you’re able to create knowledge base article directly from your Jira Service Management project but first, you must have at least one knowledge base Confluence space linked to your service project to start creating articles from your service project.

If you don’t have Confluence, you can also subscribe to the Free plan of Confluence on the same Atlassian site.

Here’s a good Atlassian article that goes over this in detail. Please have a look:

Hope that helps – let me know if you have any follow up questions or comments.

Best regards,

Hamza

lgolden November 17, 2022

Thanks Hamza but the specific question is how to create a templated article from JSM? We have linked our confluence space already and I read through the article but still didnt find the answer.

Nicholas Marsden December 15, 2022

I am looking for the answer to this question, too. In the Look and Feel setup for the Space, I can enable and disable templates/blueprints, but I can't see a way to actually use them from the Project-based knowledge base. 

Bruno Luis Branco de Araujo January 13, 2023

Also interested on this one :) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events