Team access within Service Management

paul_creedy March 30, 2023

We have another department/team that now requires access to our Jira Service Management Project but we need to restrict them to specific categories or tickets.

We could set up a new project and operate independently with different permissions/configurations etc but there are going to be a number of tickets that need to be shared between the two teams due to overlapping areas.

Is there a way that a second team could exist within our SM Project, but be restricted in some way to only seeing certain categories or tickets applicable to that team?

The original Team A can see all tickets, but the new Team B should only be able to see Tickets that are in some way assigned/allocated/categorised as being theirs.

Alternatively if not then we could have a separate project for Team B but also allow Team A to see their project too, but that comes with its own problems.

Or any other way you can suggest this scenario working.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2023

You can do this using issue security, have a look at this KB for more information.

Basically what you have to do is define security scheme to give the second team access to a set of issues, once that is done just set the issue security on your existing requests to the right ones. Then I would recommend creating an automation that sets the issue security based on the request type or another field within the request.

I use this in our HR project so that external users can access tasks for onboarding/off-boarding within the project, but they do not have access to anything else in it.

paul_creedy April 4, 2023

Cheers.  I'll take a look at that article now and come back once tested.

Paul

I've got so far with this but I'm now struggling with getting the Security Level field to appear on the Agent views so that it can be set by the Agent.

I think I've followed the instructions best I can, but the field isn't there.  I've also tried to go into the Request Form, the View issue tab, and drag the Security Level field into the View but when I SAVE it disappears.

There must be a step I've missed but I can't figure it out.

Example

I copy the Security Level field from the available fields on the right to the view and hit save.

Capture.PNG

The view refreshes and the Security Level field has removed itself after Saving.

Capture2.PNG

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2023

Okay, have a look at the screens associated with the issue type used by the request type to make sure that the security level field is on those (just go to Project settings > Screens and locate the screen used by the issue type). Next thing you need to check is that the service desk team role have the permission to set issue security in your permission scheme (Project settings > Permissions).

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2023

Btw, what you see when you add the security level to the request type is expected, the security level has to be added to the screens used by the issue type. This is because you cannot have for example two request types associated to the same issue type and only apply the security level to one of those two request types.

Thanks for replying

I've been through this several times and now whilst getting screenshots I noticed something........

I was expecting the security box or the field to be on the right as I've seen in other screenshots, but instead I've just noticed padlock icon over the right had side.  Clicking that icon shows the missing panel - YHAY!

Was that padlock always there? I don't know, but the issue ultimately was that I was expecting there to be a new field, or a new panel not a tiny icon that you had to click.

No where in the documentation that I read do I remember it saying you had to click that padlock icon to access the panel.  The Jira documentation could do with some screenshots not just line by line instructions.

Thank you for your time and help

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2023

That is the new issue view, it moved the security level from showing as a field on the right to now using the pad lock icon. Here is a KB that shows the new location.

Like paul_creedy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events