Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So Atlassian is cool with their platform being used for phishing attacks?

nah August 30, 2023

I mean, it seems to be an ongoing thing. Jira Service emails going out, no idea who their from, my Trello account data being used to populate a new account under someone else's project, no control or ability to approve that action, I mean, what could possibly go wrong?!

1 comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

No, they're not cool with it, and they do want to hear about any abusive systems so that they can shut them down.  I see that in another of your questions, @Andy Heinzer has already told you to forward abusive emails to abuse@atlassian.com

They have a bit of a problem with the business model - they want to encourage people to use free Atlassian systems, so that they can "land and expand" - a lot of people who start using a small free system go on to use it more seriously (20 years ago, well before Atlassian Cloud existed, my career involved a lot of "well, this Jira is running on a box under someone's desk and we've realised it has grown to be essential, so we need to move it into a data centre so we can get it maintained as a proper service")

To create free Atlassian systems, all you need is an Atlassian account, and these are also free, and very easy to create (just need a unique email address).  Sadly, this means spammers can easily take advantage - scripting creating an account, creating a new Atlassian system with it, and deploying stuff on to it which can then spam or abuse you.

It is important to know that none of your data is being compromised or shared, they spammers are working with an email address, nothing more.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events