Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Values in Manual Trigger User Input

Cam Burridge
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 17, 2023

When using the 'Manual trigger from issue' with the 'Prompt for input' toggled to on, I am unable to set the 'Default value' field as a smart value.

For example, I am trying to fill the box automatically with {{currentUser()}} or {{issue.summary}} the popup box will show "{{issue.summary}}" -

Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 12.27.28.png

Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 12.28.52.png

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Cam

1 answer

0 votes
Marc Koppelaar - Devoteam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2023

Hi @Cam Burridge 

Welcome to the community.

The 'Prompt for input' toggle has the function that when some one triggers the rule it prompt field to be filled.

You can't use smart values here.

The field you select here are variables you van use on other actions in the rule.

Example:

When the server team receives a work request, they would like 6 user stories to be generated, and they want the name of the user story to contain the server name. 

Since the server name is dynamic, I wanted to prompt the user for the server name at the start of the automation and use that name in the summary field for all user stories created.

Have the requestor create the first story, and that one includes the information a rule could use to create the remaining ones.

Cam Burridge
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 20, 2023

Thanks for the reply, Marc.

It's a shame smart values aren't supported in the field as it would help solve repeated input.

One of our use cases would be generating an email to the Approvers so having Smart Values pull the Approvers into the field would have been great.

I'll settle for defaulting the text to our domain so at least save some time.

Hopefully it's something Atlassian considers adding as a feature as having Smart Values work in so many other fields is incredibly helpful.

Regards,

Cam

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders