Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show ticket / issue information in knowledge base article

Christian Luis November 5, 2023

Hello everyone, 

i'd like to link and show basic information about issues in a knowledge base article within the customer portal:

• issues of the same jira service project 
  • issues of a jira software project 

Giving "browse project" rights to service portal customers in both projects schema settings does not take any effect. Even giving specific service customers rights to do so, doesn't make the job.

Is it possible? Any advice?

Many thanks
Christian 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2023

Hi @Christian Luis 

You could have a page in your knowledge base article, where use place a Jira issue macro.

But user that don't have a Jira license can only see JSM issues, based on the customer permissions of your portal.

To use the same macro on the page containing Jira Software tickets, browse is not enough, a Jira Software license is required to visualise information.

Christian Luis November 6, 2023

Thank you very much @Marc Koppelaar 

Reasonable, that JSM customers can't see jira issues without license, OK!

But I also struggle to get the issues of the very own JSM project working in a macro. Following things are set in my testing environment:

• JSM project is configured to share issues automatically within the same organization. 
  • Testing issue is set to the corresponding organization and can be seen by the testing user within the portals organization requests overview page.
  • Including the same issue within knowledge base results in a "no rights to see this issue" 

Is there any other config that I am missing?

Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2023

Hi @Christian Luis 

Can you share screenshots of the config. This will help to get to the bottom of the issue and see if I or the community is able to resolve this.

Hi @Marc Koppelaar 

thank you! Here are some screens:

Jira Service Management configuration:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-06 um 17.18.55.png

Jira Service Management project permissions:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-06 um 17.21.51.png

Knowledge Base article backend:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-06 um 17.27.27.png

Knowledge Base article in frontend; User = Autor of testing issue (missing permissions):

Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-06 um 17.29.32.png

Issue in standard issue list of test user:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-06 um 17.31.25.png

If there is any further information that could be helpful, please let me know.

Many thanks 

Christian 

Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 6, 2023

Hi @Christian Luis 

Is the test user a customer on the portal number 3?

What does the test user see if they visit the Confluence page directly?

Hi @Marc Koppelaar 

yes it's portal no 3.

Directly accessing via the shared knowledge base article url (e.g. https://corp.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/kb/view/217481217) shows the same behavior as shown in the screenshot. 

Directly accessing via confluence link (e.g. https://corp.atlassian.net/l/cp/F9kUrRHL) shows jira login screen (licensed users not JSM customer login) 

Could it be a bug? Or simply not possible to use JSM issues in knowledge base articles? 

Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 7, 2023

Hi @Christian Luis 

I found some information and unfortunate, this is not a possibility in the system.

Since the text within the Jira issues macro isn't stored in the Confluence database.

The data is being pulled from Jira, so you'd need to do a JQL search from Jira in order to obtain that data. 

Therefore, it requires a Jira license, and not be possible for Jira Service Desk customers.

Christian Luis November 7, 2023

Hi @Marc Koppelaar 

thank you very much for digging. I will put in a feature request for this.

Like Marc Koppelaar likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events