Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share issue type between Projects

Muhammad Akram Sharifi May 20, 2021

I have an issue type where its shared between 2 other projects

Now I want to create a new screen scheme for one the project workaround I have done

1- copied the current scheme

2- renamed the schame and added the new screen I wanted.

3- associated the new scheme to the issue type in issue type screen scheme.

I see the issue type has a different screen scheme

But the Problem is 

it still shows that the new scheme is shared with 2 more projects.

anyone know how can I manage to other projects should use the same "Old" screen scheme and 1 project should use the new screen scheme.

I appreciate your Help in advance. 

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

Hi @Muhammad Akram Sharifi,

If you associated your new screen scheme to an existing issue type screen scheme, then you have just added your freshly created screen scheme to all the projects the issue type screen scheme was already associated with. And probably that is 2 projects.

If you click on the link that says the screen scheme is associated with 2 projects, you will see which projects they are.

Just to make things a bit clear.

Project >> Issue type screen scheme >> Screen schemes >> Screens 

In a project you use screens to associate issue types with the appropriate custom fields for each issue type.

Every issue can be created / edited / viewed. So essentially for 1 issue, you can define 3 different screens, one for each operation.

You define a screen scheme to package those 3 screens nicely together.

But your project has also multiple issue types, potentially. To link issue types to the appropriate screen schemes, you use an issue type screen scheme. In that scheme, you define which screen scheme is associated with each issue type in your project.

If I understand your explanation correctly, you should create an additional issue type screen scheme to separate the configuration of your different projects.

Hope this helps!

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2021

A good overview on how the screens, schemes, and fields are related can be found here, Project screens, schemes and fields (yes, the document is for Server/Data Center, but it works the same on Cloud).

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this
Muhammad Akram Sharifi May 20, 2021

@Walter Buggenhout 

Thanks for replying I have created a new screen scheme and associated with desired project too.

But the new scheme show shared with other projects that using same issue type

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2021

Yes, I understand. Usually that is what you would want, as it makes sure that a same issue type is using the same screens (and custom fields) across your entire Jira instance. That helps to create a common understanding across your organisation of  a story, a bug or a task.

But if that is not what you want, identify those projects and associate them with a different issue type scheme.

If you have project A and project B, they both have Story / Bug / Task / Epic as issue types. And let's assume Story and Task and Bug shared the same screens, Epic has its own screens and now you would like to create separate screens for Bug in Project A, but not in project B, you would need to create the following setup:

> Issue Type Screen Scheme for Project A (NEW)

>> Screen scheme for stories and tasks

>> >> associated with Story, Task

>> Screen scheme for Epics

>> >> associated with Epics

>> Screen scheme for Bugs

>> >> associated with Bugs

> Issue Type Screen Scheme for project B (OLD)

>> Screen scheme for stories and tasks

>> >> associated with Story, Task

>> Screen scheme for Epics

>> >> associated with Epics

And so you associate the correct issue type schemes with the correct projects. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events