Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup only one Request Form for Support (like Atlassian Support has)

Stefan Froehlich April 28, 2023

Hi all,

I am wondering if its possible to create a similar intake Form that Atlassian Support has on their website.

They simply have 1 dropdown with many categories to choose from and the expand from there.

Advantages:

- very clean and transparent intake form for the end-user

Challenges I can see:

- No attachment field available in forms right now

- If you have many Issue and request types the form becomes very long and complicated to build

Questions I have:

- Is this achievable with out-of-box Jira in general? (hoping that they will implement the attachment field in forms soon)

- with the lack of attachment fields currently built-in, what would be the second best approach to get close to this?

- do you have other suggestions on how to provide just 1 intake form for a variety of requests (ranging from simple questions to IT support to reporting issues on the website or issues with line of business applications)

Thank you :)

Stefan

2 answers

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2023

Hi @Stefan Froehlich ,

WYSIWYG with the JSM portal. There is some customization you can do to simplify the presentation but in the end you still have a Help center with portals for each project (support service) presented by a card. Clicking the card presents a drop-down selection of possible help options. Atlassian support is based on a different platform entirely. Unsure why the do not use their own product here but possibly scale is/was a factor when originally put in place.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2023

Regarding options, check the Marketplace or consider developing a simple interface on your own using the APIs.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2023

@Stefan Froehlich You can also look at using the API and have a custom form that populates your JSM project with requests.  https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/service-desk/rest/intro/ 

Stefan Froehlich May 1, 2023

Thank you both for your replies.

That is unfortunate and kind of what I thought.

Our goal would have been to really have this one-stop shop intake form people can choose from instead compartmentalize the locations (we currently aim for 1 general Helpdesk which we then divide into several Issue Types just to make it easier for users to log tickets).

I have seen implementations of Service Desks where you get so many different intake forms that it almost blocks you as an end user because you don't know where to place your question (and end up in a general inquiry). 

@Brant Schroeder this sounds interesting, do you by any chance have a link to some examples how this could look like beyond the API info? Much appreciated.

Best,

Stefan

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2023

@Stefan Froehlich I believe that this is how Atlassian does their support request.  They have dynamic content on the request depending on what you select.  Once you submit the request it is actually in their service management product.  So I would assume that they are using the APIs to create the request.  I do not have any specific public forms that I could show you.  We have one in our ERP that allows internal requests to be submitted and we use the API.  We do this because we collect information specific to the user, BP, and page that they are on.  This information populates custom fields that are no longer dynamic in the service desk.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events