Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Outbound Email Address for Service Desk

sean April 3, 2024

I was able to set the email address for the email channel for incoming service requests to an email on our  domain and it works fine, but when we respond or send back notifications, they all come from an atlassian domain. I can;t seem to change this - it seems my perms wont let me - but if I had permissions to set up the inbound email address, shouldn't I be able to set the outbound as well?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2024

Hey @sean ,

You can indeed use your own domain for outgoing project emails but you'll have to "trust" your domain first. This needs to be done by an organization admin.

https://support.atlassian.com/organization-administration/docs/add-custom-email-addresses-for-product-notifications/

This involves adding a few DNS records on your local name servers allowing Atlassian to be sure you are the owner of that domain.

Once done, then the domain correct email addresses can be configured for each project.

sean April 4, 2024

Thanks - that's what I was reading. I have to make sure I have the right perms to do it - I was looking for the email settings in admin.atlassian but what I see is a list of all users and I don't see email settings in the left column. Maybe I'm not an Organization admin?

sean April 4, 2024

I checked and indeed I only have Site Admin perms and not Org Admin perms. So I'll need to get that handled first. Thanks for the response.

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2024

@sean 

Hi Sean:

Out of the box, you can customize your out-going email address by going to Project settings >> Notifications scheme and change the address.  However, you cannot change the domain address portion (i.e. @xxxxx.atlassian.net)

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/send-notification-emails-from-your-own-domain-in-next-gen/

Take a look at the following reference link on adding your custom domain address -

https://support.atlassian.com/organization-administration/docs/add-custom-email-addresses-for-product-notifications/

This can only be done by the Site/Systems Admins.  However, what is your reasoning that you want to change the default atlassian domain?

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

sean April 3, 2024
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 3, 2024

In the referenced page - please read the following call out...

2024-04-03_17-26-29.png

I don't believe there is any issue.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders