Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Default Value for Insight Custom Field depending on Request Type

Ste404
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2022

Hi there,

I have a field called 'Responsible Team'.  This is an insight object as for some particular software requests it is populated via an automation.

There is a request though that for particular request types the field is automatically populated.

For 10 different request types there is a different default value for the Responsible Team.

I was thinking of having an insight object for Request Type which would also have the responsible team against them and then with automation match the request type with the objecttype in Insight and pull in the Team name.  My concern though that if new request types are added or a name changed there always has to be a match in Insight and if Insight isn't updated or incorrect then the automation will fail.

Is there a suggested workflow for this.  I know you can't set the default value for a field on a request type in cloud like you could in Server.

Or additionally if I do need to do a number of Edit Issue steps in Automation to update the Insight Custom Field on the issue, what IQL do I use to do that as there is no value being selected to trigger a lookup.  So I would it would be...  if Request Type = "ABC" edit issue "Team Responsible"  <what do I need here to tell it the team name>

I tried this;

{
"fields": {

"customfield_10206": [
{
"Name": "Mobile Dev"
}
]
}
}

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2022

@Ste404 -

If your Insight field has already been setup as an Jira/JSM custom field, then you should be able to use Automation for Jira -

Take a look at this link on how to access Insight object via smartvalues - https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-insight/

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

0 votes
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2022

Hello @Ste404 ,

Regarding you first part of the question, I wonder if you could set it up to alert you if the value doesn't match any of existing insights or request types. 

If you are going to update multiple issues, maybe bulk edit is an easier option.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events