Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Security Level for an issue

Zekai Huang April 25, 2023

Hi all, 

If I understand correctly, Issue Security Level restricts access per issue. I am able to set up the security schema and apply it to my project following this instruction but I can't figure out how to adjust the security level per issue. 

The official instruction doesn't mention it in detail but that it's available to users with "Set issues security" permission. I am the project admin and site admin. And a few third-party instruction says that I should see security level setting at the bottom of an issue, but I don't see anything like that. 

Am I missing something?

Thank you,

Zekai

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2023

@Zekai Huang -

Once you setup the issue security configuration and applied to your project(s) in question, then you will need to update the field named "Security Level" associated with each issue to enforce the issue security control.

By default, the project permission only allows project "Administrators" role members to manage the "Security Level" field.  You need to make sure that you have the security level field is added in your JSM issue types' screens first, so you can access the field via the project UI.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Zekai Huang April 25, 2023

That's what I suspect. But I don't see the Security Level field at all, I even went to the screen configuration trying to add the field like I always did with other fields, I can't find it anywhere. 

Btw, I am talking about a service management project. Not sure if it matters. 

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2023

@Zekai Huang -

"Security Level" field is there regardless if it is for JSM project or Jira Software project.  

What you need to do is to access your JSM project's Project settings >> Screens UI.  Afterward, identify your issue type and then configure the appropriate screens (i.e Edit or View issue screen) and add the field "Security Level" to the screen.

This is different then access the issue view tab from accessing Request Types option.  Once you added the field via Project settings >> Screen UI method, then you will see the field via the Request Types option for adding it to the issue view tab.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Zekai Huang April 26, 2023

Ahh that works, I always confused the two places for setting field. Thank you very much, Joseph. 

Rick Westbrock July 11, 2023

I tried this today (I am in the project administrator role) and when configuring the request type it is only allowing me to add the Security Level field to the request form view but not the issue view.

I added the field to the request view but still can't see it when viewing an issue for some reason.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events