Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Management customer does not receive account registration email

Johan March 15, 2022

Hello,

While trying to login for the first time the customer is unable to receive the registration email to access the helpdesk. The customer is allowed to access the service (is added in an customer organisation) and does not receive an error message saying that the email address is not allowed.

I have the same problem when I test it with some temporary mail accounts, the mails never arrived.

Kind regards,

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 21, 2022

Hi @Johan 

If I understand the problem here, you are wanting to invite new users to your Atlassian Cloud site via email, however some of these users are not receiving these email invitations.

I suspect what has happened is that at some point in the past there was a failed email delivery attempt to such an email address.  When this happens in relation to one of our Cloud services, then Atlassian will add that email address to a suppression list to avoid repeated attempts to send messages to what are seen as invalid addresses.

I checked your email domain, but when I did so, I did not find any current addresses from your domain in that suppression list.  This could have been cleared by some other support member from Atlassian in the time between you reported this problem and now, or perhaps I do not know what the correct email addresses are to review in this case.

If you are still having this problem, please let me know.  If you can provide those individuals email addresses here in Community that would help me to track this down.  Alternatively, we can create a support request on your behalf should there be a need for added privacy here.  I can also remove or redact any sensitive information added within our Community site.

Cheers,

Andy

Johan March 22, 2022

Hi @Andy Heinzer,

What I attempt to do:

• I whitelisted some email adresses
  • I give the users the URL to the Service Desk
  • They are required to login (because it is not supposed to be public), in other words they need to create an account with their email adres that is whitelisted
  • In the process of creating the account the email never arrives to verify the registration (the problem)
  • As admin I never had to register to access the service, so I attempted to duplicate the problem with some temp email adresses and my own personal email adres to see if it was a user error or not,  those adresses also never received a verification email (note I also whitelisted them at the time)

Did I make a mistake?

Thank you for the assistance,

Johan

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2022

I don't see any mistake clearly here.  It is possible that if you enter in an email address that is invalid, say because the mailbox doesn't exist yet, or there is any other reason that the receiving mail server might reject the message, then Atlassian will suppress future attempts at sending mail to that address.

But from what you have described so far, I don't see the clear evidence of that happening.  I would be interested to investigate this further though if we can.

Are you able to provide to me any examples of the email addresses that you tried to use to invite new users to your site?  If you can I can investigate this further myself to see if there are more details about why these messages might not have been received.

Andy

Johan March 23, 2022

Hi,

An email adres that I know works and that I tried several times is: JohanVanSteenbrugghe@gmail.com

I just checked if I blocked any Atlassian email adresses in my filtered list but the list is empty.

Johan

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
March 24, 2022

I'm not seeing any attempts to send messages to that address, nor am I seeing that address on our suppression list.

I'm curious if perhaps the outgoing mail system in the Administration settings could have been disabled here? [yoursite].atlassian.net/secure/admin/OutgoingMailServers.jspa

However if this was disabled, all outgoing mail from Jira would be disabled. But if this was the case, then it would explain why none of these invitations have been sent out and why I haven't been able to find traces of them so far.

Provided that outgoing mail is enabled for your site, I would recommend that you invite users to the site by following the steps in Add a customer to a service project.  It sounds like you are trying to have the users visit the portal first and complete their signup that way.  But If you can instead try to manually invite at least one of these users in the customer role as mentioned in that link, this should be able to tell us more about whether the outgoing mail on your Cloud site is enabled right now.

Johan April 29, 2022

Hi @Andy Heinzer

I was finally able to look at this problem again.

It is working now -> indeed the problem was that OutgoingMailServers.jspa was disabled.

Thank you for the assistance.

Johan

PS: A trophy for you :-)

Like Andy Heinzer likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2022

do you have email requests configured? If so then if the customer sends an email to create an issue does it fail?

Johan March 15, 2022

Email requests are not configured, the log also shows 'No email received ever'

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2022

If you don't have email channel enabled there will be no logs.

If you give the custom URL to the portal can they complete the registration and log in? It may be that there is an issue with the email being blocked. For this you must reach out to Atlassian support directly.

Johan March 15, 2022

Ok, thank you for the help.

Where can I find the support email or otherwise? I cannot seem to find it.

The https://support.atlassian.com/contact link keeps redirecting me to the community support.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2022

ah so you must be on Free tier then? I will try to get someone at Atlassian to have a look.

Johan March 15, 2022

Ah it's not available for free tiers? For reference can I open a support ticket for a free service if we pay for another? Or can we only get a support ticket for the services we pay for?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2022

official support is not available in Free, notifications for invites etc. are available in free

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events