Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Desk Email cc Participants

atif-sattar October 23, 2018

I am having a huge issue with Jira Service Desk, I'm at the final stage of implementation with live customers.

1. We have clients who often cc other external companies as well when opening a support ticket via email. But the other cc participants are very broad ranging from infrastructure teams and corporate teams. Is there anyway to allow any cc participants to get emails for all ticket updates without manually adding them as watchers.
  2. We cannot open the Service Desk publicly due to security reasons as well.

This is becoming a very pressing issue and we will have to get out of JSD to another platform if we cannot have this basic feature.

Any reason why it was made this way to begin with?

How are other companies using this?

2 answers

2 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2018

Hi Atif,

When someone is added on CC they are automatically added as a participant and they receive an email informing this.
It will only work if you let the configuration for customers to create their own accounts. In this case, your Service Desk will not be open, but anyone that sends an email to open a ticket or go to the Customer Portal login page will be able to create their own account.

Also, watchers are only internal users with a license, it will not be possible to add external people as watchers.

You can find more information on the link below:

- Adding request participants

Regards,
Angélica

Paul Tran
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 8, 2019

Hello, I have the same issue. Can anybody provide step-by-step process to ensure that anyone that is CC'ed on the initial request will be included on the notification?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2019

Hi Paul,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!
To ensure that anyone added on the CC will be added as a participant, you need to allow customers to create their own accounts.
First, you need to go to Project settings > Customer permission > Who can customers share requests with? > Any customer or organization, by searching this project > Save.
Them, go to Jira settings > Products > Configuration > 
Can customers create their own accounts? > Yes, by signing up or sending a request.

Please, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Angélica

Like # people like this
Sebastián Delmastro September 8, 2019

@Angélica Luz can you help me with this:

(1) JSD Cloud

(2) Several customers within several organizations

(3) Customers who send email to support@ also cc: other users within their organization and also JSD agents in the to: or cc: fields

(4) Who can customers share requests with? Other customers in their organization.

Problem is when a customer writes to support and cc: or to: to other customers from his organization and some agents, it only creates JSD issue with the reporter (sender) only.

Can it be solved with some Custom mail handler options or something?

Thanks 

Like Heather R likes this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
September 9, 2019

Hi Sebastián,

Thank you for reaching out to Community!
Participants are only added if they are added in CC field. If people are added on TO, they won't be added.
Also, the project must be open for customers to create their own accounts.

First, you need to change the customer permission to Who can customers share requests with? > Any customer or organization, by searching this project.

After that, you need to go to Project settings > Products > Configuration > Can customers create their own accounts? > Yes, by signing up or sending a request.

It means that if the customer adds someone to CC that does not have an account, Jira will create an account and they will be added as participant.

Regards,
Angélica

Sebastián Delmastro September 11, 2019

@Angélica Luz thanks I got it.

My issue here is that I don't want customers able to create accounts on their own and also don't want customers able to share with other customers outside his organization (we have several organizations as clients with several customers within we give support to).

We create by API all the org and customers that come from our internal app, so that assures us no one is left without a portal account.

I tried for a test Customer 1 emails these ways and the result is the following:

(1) 

Email
To: Support
To: Customer 2
cc: JSD Agent
cc: Jira User

Result
Assignee: JSD Agent
Reporter: Customer 1
Request Customer 2
Watcher: Jira User

Even if the Jira User, Customer 2 and JSD Agent are permuted between To: and CC: fields the result area the same.

Thanks!

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
September 13, 2019

Thank you for the details Sebastián.
I believe that this issue is related to a bug. If a customer adds someone that is not part of the organization, nobody will be added as a participant.
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-5397
As they are adding an agent as CC, they are part of the project, but not part of the organization.

Note that, it's not recommended to add an agent in an organization or as a participant, because they will not receive notification since they will be agent and customer at the same time and Jira won't know what type of notification to send.
Agents must be only assignee or watcher.

Sebastián Delmastro September 13, 2019

Thanks, @Angélica Luz  I was exactly asking that kind of pros and cons in this one:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/Assign-JSD-Agents-to-Requested-Participants-or-Watchers/qaq-p/1178292

When you say "If a customer adds someone that is not part of the organization, nobody will be added as a participant" you are referring someone = as any customer in his org?

Cause when someone is an Agent or Jira User works fine with the test we have been doing.

Thanks for your insights on this!

Best,

Sebastian 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
September 16, 2019

Hi Sebastián,

No, I was referring to users that are not part of the organization. An agent can’t be part of an organization on a service desk project and they can’t be added as a participant, otherwise, notifications won’t work for them. An agent must be only watcher or assignee.  

Regards,
Angélica

Mike Dinnella October 23, 2019

I think ideally I could allow semi-public registration, for example anyone @Example.com can register as a customer, but not fully public.  Is there a feature request for this I can +1?

Dan Wilson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 26, 2020

@Angélica Luz Please ask your team to update the wording for the setting, "Who can customers share requests with?". 

The third option should read something like, "Any customer or organization, by searching this project. This option allows them to search all customers in the current project and allows email requests to automatically add request participants through CC."

We dealt with this problem for several weeks before finding this thread and fixing the problem. A simple wording change could have saved us hundreds of hours in lost productivity.

Like Thomas Varga likes this
0 votes
Muhammad Ramzan_Atlassian Certified Master_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2020

Hi, 

You have to check two settings 

1- "Who can customers share requests with?".  it should be allowed 

2- on JSD project go to customer notifications or if you created any automation rule for notifications , in that rule you must select who can receive notifications (reporter and customers involved)

Customer involved contains participants, if any of your notification does not have this option, they will not receive any ticket updates

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events