Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Desk API resulting in 401 for customers

Luca Winter June 30, 2021

One of our customers would like to create issues in their Service Desk project through the REST API.

I tried to simulate this by inviting a customer to a testing project, creating API tokens for this customer and trying the REST API methods using Basic Auth . All calls that require authentication end up with a 401 response code.

I am sure the customer has the necessary permissions to see issues in the testing project, as the customer can log in and see the issues in the web interface.

I've tried making the same API calls using my own credentials and that works fine, so I think I'm making the calls correctly.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2021

Hello @Luca Winter,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

For a customer to be able to create issues via REST API, they need to have an Atlassian account in order to create an API token on their profile.

Also, the customer must be listed as an internal user, but it’s not necessary to give them a license to the product. They will be a user without application access.

I can see that you are not a site administrator, so reach out to your site admin for them to follow the steps below:

Go to Cog icon > User management > Product access and disable all of them. Note that, it won’t affect any user. This will only prevent that, when migrating the customer, they won’t count towards a license. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 14.50.50.png

After that, from the same Administration page, click on Jira Service Management where the customer will be listed. Then, migrate the account to Atlassian account.

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 14.54.08.png

Once this is done, the customer will be listed as an internal user, but since they don’t have applicate access (since it was disabled on Product access), they will only be able to access the portal. 

Their profile should look like this:

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 14.58.48.png

After that, they can generate an API token from their profile on https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/security/api-tokens and the API call should work.

Please, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Luca Winter August 18, 2021

Hi Angélica,

Thank you very much for the detailed response, it works perfectly!

Best regards,
Luca

Like Angélica Luz likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events