Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate sites for different deps in one organisation?

David Drong-Reisch June 30, 2021

Hey together,

just a quick question for you experienced Jira admins:

We have a Site for IT-Support purposes. Multiple projects inside, all IT, service desk, e-commerce, process management and so on.

Now we got the request to add

• our marketing department for project planning
  • our facility management for service desk and project planning

Now I am stuck at this point:

• If I use the existing site, I have to pay the addons for all of that new users, even if they dont want to use them. (Bigpicture, Confluence, Reminders, EazyBI)
  • If I use the existing site, I have to pay the Jira Service Management Price for all that users, even if the "only" use the Jira Work Management (which costs 5$ instead of 20$)
  • If I use a new site, I will maybe get problems to maintain multiple sites, permission schemes, workflows, etc.
  • maybe more?

What would you do in this case? Maybe somebody in the same situation here?

Thanks in advance!

David

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2021

Hi David,

Point 1 is correct, if you add additional users they will count for the addon license.

Point 2 on the other hand is not correct, you can give users a JWM license without giving them a JSM license, that way you only pay for JWM, and they will be able to use the JSM portal but not the JSM backend.

So for marketing you only need JWM.

For facility, they will need JSM as they need a service desk.

You could choose to do the project planning of facilitity in the JSM project as well, so that they don't need a JWM license - but this depends on their needs.

Creating a new site could also mean additional costs like duplicate addons, or users that need a JSM license in both sites.

Based on the limited information i have, my guess would go to just adding them on the same site, and grant them only the license they need.

Hope this helps,

Laurens

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2021

Agree. Also note you mention confluence confluence is a product and it’s not an add-on so you don’t have to pay for that unless you give users access to it

Like Laurens Coppens likes this
Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2021

@Jack Brickey  I completely missed that, thanks for pointing that out!

Confluence is like JSM and JSW a product and not an addon/app so you can choose who you give access/ a license.

David Drong-Reisch July 2, 2021

Thank you for the response. You're right, I missed that Confluence is a separate product.

I will put them in the same site with our it-projects.

And if I book JWM it will appear as own product like Confluence does?

Thanks.

Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2021

Yes, JWM will also appear as a seperate product.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events