Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending external comments over email through automation

Erik George September 1, 2022

Hello,

I have an automation rule created in Jira that sends comments to reporters (one sending the most recent one, and another that sends all the comments on the issue). However, I recently noticed that this includes internal comments as well. Is there a way to make it so only non-internal comments are sent? 

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Hi @Erik George ,

I‘m sorry but can‘t follow your description. Isn‘t that the main functionality of jira seevice management that the reporter is notified via email about a new comment and furthermore the main functionality of internal comments that they are not sent to the customer and only shared between agents?

There shouldn‘t be an automation rule needed for that. This sounds like something that is configured in the notification settings.

Or did I get something wrong? If so could you please further specify your use case more detailled?

Best
Stefan

Erik George September 2, 2022

The default email notifications to reporters is turned off for us and instead we have custom automation rules in place that send the reporter both the latest status and comment whenever there is a status change, as well as giving the reporter the ability to request full details of the ticket (via email rather than the portal) that provides more information as well as the entire comment history.

My problem is that this also sends internal comments to the reporter. I think there's a smart value for comments.internal - but is there anything that is the opposite, and just selects external/non-internal comments?

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2022

May I ask why the standard notification is turned off? It gives exatly the information you would like to have (status and comment via email, excluding internal comments).
imho I would rethink the idea of turning off native functionality and try to implement exactly the same thing with automation. 

furthermore:
what does "full details of ticket" exactly mean? What kind of information does the user get? 

Anyways:
How do you collect the data (comments) that should be returned to the user? Could you show your automation rule/how far you´ve gotten and where you got stuck?

Best
Stefaen

Erik George September 6, 2022

That's a good question that I don't exactly have the answer to. I was given control of the project about 80% into it's development, with all of the notifications being based around automation rules. Resolutions, status updates, ticket creation, etc. - so that's just what I went with.

For the full details, the rule displays the ticket creation date, current status of the ticket, the last time it was updated, and every comment on the ticket. 

For comments, I just use {{#issue.comments}} (as well as author & date), but it also collects internal comments. 

Thanks!

Screenshot 2022-09-06 083909.png

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2022

Hi @Erik George 

you can use if condition within smart value so you could check if a comment is internal or not and only include the information if it´s not. see following link:

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-conditional-logic/

tested in my environment with following line:

{{#issue.comments}} {{#if(not(internal))}} test: {{body}} & {{author.displayName}} {{/}} {{/}}

There was 1 internal comment which was excluded in the result.

Best
Stefan

Like Erik George likes this
Erik George September 7, 2022

That worked - thanks a ton! 

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 7, 2022

AWESOME!!! Happy to know you got that working 💪🏼

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events