Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send the Assignee a notification when there's been no response from the reporter

Jimmy Long
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 22, 2023

Is there a way to send a notification to the assignee to follow up with the reporter if the ticket has been sitting in a certain status for x amount of time?

We have a status for "Waiting Response from Reporter" and I'd like to automate sending a notification to the assignee to follow up with the reporter if the ticket has been sitting in that status for x amount of time.

I'd also like to look at setting up an automation where the assignee will get a notification to follow up on the ticket 2 weeks prior to the date input in a field when the user submitted the form. Is that possible?

2 answers

1 vote
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2023

Hi @Jimmy Long welcome to the community. With Automations, you could notify the Assignee after so many days with no response.  If you go look at Automations in Project Settings, and then go to the 'Templates' tab, you should see on called 'Resolve issues due to inactivity'.  I'm no expert with Automations, but I tweeked that to look at issues with a specific status and after 2 weeks, it will send a notification out.  Mine goes directly to the reporter asking for more information, but you should be able to notify the Assignee.

Hope that helps. 

0 votes
Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2023

Hi @Jimmy Long 

For rule 1, I'm understanding the logic is...

• If an issue has been in the status "Waiting Response from Reporter" for N amount of time...
  • Email the Reporter

...is this correct?

For rule 2, I'm not sure on the logic - is it...

• When an issue is created, a date field is set automatically
  • 2 weeks prior to this date, the Assignee should be notified

...?

---

Rule 1

This should work:

• Trigger: Scheduled
    • Run rule every = 1 days
    • Run a JQL search... = TRUE (checkbox)
      • JQL - status = "Waiting Response from Reporter" AND status changed BEFORE -14d
  • Action: Send Email
    • To = Reporter
    • Subject = {{issue.key}} needs to be updated!
    • Content = 

Hi {{issue.Reporter.displayName}},

You have not updated your ticket, "{{issue.key}} - {{issue.summary}}" in 14 days or more.

Please get back to us so we can help further!

Thanks,
      Support

---

A few notes on this rule...

• The Send Email action uses smart values to dynamically populate values from each issue.
  • Above I've provided example text but you can customise this to suit your needs.
  • You could add a comment instead if preferred - that Action might look like this (with the Reporter being @ mentioned)...
    • Action: Comment on Issue
      • Comment = 

Hi [~accountid:{{issue.reporter.accountId}}]

Please update this issue.

Thanks!

---

Rule 2

I'm assuming the date field is already being populated, either manually or automatically at issue creation. If not, and it needs to be automated, the rule would be:

• Trigger: Issue Created
  • Action: Edit Issue

Then, Rule 2 would look like this:

• Trigger: Scheduled
    • Run rule every = 1 days
    • Run a JQL search... = TRUE (checkbox)
      • JQL - "Date Field" >= 14d and "Date Field" < 15d
  • Action: Send Email
    • To = Assignee
    • Subject / Content = <Populate here>

---

• Populate your Date Field into the appropriate places above
  • The JQL confirms the date is 14 days aware - but no more than that. That ensures that the automation rule doesn't activate too early, or more than once
  • Similar to above, you could use Comment on Issue instead; to use the @ mention smart value, change reporter to assignee

---

Let us know if these work for you!

Ste

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events