Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send email to object attribute

Evert Morren Atlas Admin September 15, 2022

In an Insight Object I have a attribute "owner". I have an automation rule and want tos end an email to the owner if something happens. The automation rule works if I send an email to a certain user but how can I define the object attribute?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

Hi @Evert Morren Atlas Admin - First thing is understanding your schema.  What is the Owner attribute type and type value (e.g. Object/Text, Object/Reference, User, etc.)?

This will help determine how we can capture the email address of that user.

Attribute type: user

Type value: User

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

Ok - This may help to have a screenshot of your automation rule, but assuming you're using a lookup object action to get the object in question, your Send Email To field would look something like this:

{{lookupObjects.Owner.emailAddress}}

Again, this is assuming you're using a lookup to get the object.  If you're capturing it by some other means and this isn't helpful, please share a screenshot of your rule.  This will provide more context so we can help you further.

Capture-insight.PNG

Evert Morren Atlas Admin September 19, 2022

Hi Mark,

Is there a solution for my problem?

Regards,

Evert

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2022

Hi @Evert Morren Atlas Admin - Sorry I missed that you had responded for some reason.  Am I correct that the Owner attribute type is User?  If so, you want something like this:

{{object.owner.emailAddress}}
Evert Morren Atlas Admin September 22, 2022

Hi Mark, i have done some test, but it doesn't work. I have add some items to the content field, see below. The rule Owner: {{object.owner.name}} gives the name of the user. 

The rule Owner email: {{object.owner.emailAddress}} or something else like {{object.owner.email-address}} doesn't give information.

It seems, the value to request the email address in not right.Capture-6.PNG

Like Daniel Luevano likes this
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2022

Can you please share a screenshot of your License Object Type attribute configuration?  Specifically, I need to see the attribute type information for the Owner attribute.  This will help me better understand the issue.

See below,

Regards.

Capture-7.PNG

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2022

I just tried this in my test environment and sadly, got the same result.

There does appear to be an open bug that I recommend you mark as "This affects me".  Here's the link:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-10088

As the bug states, the only workaround options are:

1. Capture the email address as a separate attribute. 
  2. Use the Send Web Request action to get email address through the API

Number 1 may not be a bad approach if you have a consistent format to the email address of each user.  You'd be able to use automation to set the email address like this:

• TRIGGER: Object Created
  • ACTION: Edit Object (new email attribute)
    This would be an example where your email format is first.last@domain
    • {{object.Owner.displayName.replace(" ",".")}}@example.com

You could similarly mass set email for all existing objects by using a scheduled job with a branch IQL.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your support.

Regards, Evert

Like Mark Segall likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin