Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Scheme Levels - service desk customer choice?

Jamie Carey June 28, 2022

in the Edit Issue Security Levels section, when choosing who can see the issue I want to make sure the customer and participants can see the issue once opened, but it's not clear to me what selection to choose.

I see Project Role (Service Desk Customers) and Service Project Customer - Portal Access but it's not clear to me what the implications of either one of these are:

• Do these mean that the reporter and participants can see the issue if I choose either one of these? 
  • Does the second one indicate they can see it in the portal and would not see it in the portal if I didn't choose this option?
  • Does these choices limit the visibility to only the reporter and participants or can any service desk customer see the issue?

2022-06-28 16_24_26-Edit Issue Security Levels - JIRA.png

I also was curious if you always need to add two levels to a security scheme or if you can rely on the basic permissions of a service desk as your default security level (in other words, you can't see the issues in the service desk unless you are assigned to it to start with); then if the issue needs to be restricted further, you would then assign a security level.

1 answer

1 vote
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2022

Hi @Jamie Carey ,

Welcome to the community !!

1. Service Project Customer - Portal Access will grant reporter and users in project participants filed the required access from customer portal

Service Project Customer - Portal Access defines what the customers can do from the portal view. They don't have access to Atlassian products (no product licenses consumed). Also known as External customers. They can send requests to your service project (Help center) through the portal, email, or widget

2. Project Role (Service Desk Customers) are the internal users who are customers to your project. They can be granted access to your project and can count towards for license. 

To know abut the customers, please go through https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/what-are-service-project-customers-and-organizations/

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/add-and-remove-customers/ 

Jamie Carey June 29, 2022

Thanks for the explanations and links! I'll read through, & I think that answers my question regarding those definitions and how it would align with security levels.

Do you know if you must have two security levels or do the project permissions function as the default for the service desk if you only set up one?

Jamie Carey June 29, 2022

hrm...after reading all that, it's not clear to me if providing the Service Project Customer - Portal Access to the security level will expose all tickets with that security scheme to anyone with Service Project Customer - Portal Access or allow the reporter and participant on the ticket to be able to see the ticket via the portal.

Like David Wolfman likes this
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2022

Tickets can be viewed by customers in the portal only if they are part of reporter or Request participants field (or any user field added in the screen like approvers). 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events