Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search & order issues by total number of linked issues

Jonathan Costello October 24, 2023

Hello, 

As past of our incident/problem reporting I need to be able to report the total number of 'problem' issues and be able to sort them by the number of linked 'incident' issues for that particular 'problem'. 

e.g. if one 'problem' has 15x linked 'incidents' and another 'problem' has 5x linked incidents how can I report on this?

There doesn't appear to be a straight forward way to do this. If anyone has managed to achieve this on Jira cloud and could offer any advice that would be much appreciated?

Thanks
Jon

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Marc Koppelaar - Devoteam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2023

Hi @Jonathan Costello 

You could use a custom field and the automation rules to count the links with:

{{issue.issueLinks.size|0}}

The rule could be triggered as you wish, but probably by a scheduler or link changes.

Then use a filter to sort by the custom field.

Still I wonder the reporting need, as for me the problem with the most linked issues would not mean its to most impacting one, but that's just me?

Vishal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2023

Hi @Marc Koppelaar - Devoteam 

I needed this for some other purpose & it worked out very well to get the linked issue count. Appreciate it.

1 vote
Jonathan Costello October 25, 2023

@Marc Koppelaar - Devoteam / @Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira  - Many thanks both for the input, it was much appreciated. 

I managed to get what I needed as per Marc's suggestion of automation rule plus custom field.

Thanks again, 
Jon

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 24, 2023

Hi @Jonathan Costello

just to add to Marc's great answer:

if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, this would be easy to do using the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of so-called smart columns that aren’t natively available, including the number of issue links. This is how it looks in action:

number-of-issue-links.gif

As you can see above, you can easily sort and filter by the number of issue links, and also use it across JXL's advanced features, such as support for (configurable) issue hierarchies, issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting.

All this just works, and doesn't need any scripting or automation whatsoever.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders