Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

SSO for our Help Desk project for users?

Hi, 

Can anyone tell me exactly what is needed for users to automatically authenticate to Jira Service Management to submit a ticket using our Help Desk project? Basically, I just want our employee's, who don't have an Altassian login, to be able to submit tickets/requests to our Help Desk.

I hope I'm making sense!

Thanks,

Steven

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ivan Lima Community Leader Aug 11, 2022

Hi, @Steven Philpot. Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Have a look at the links below. I believe they will address what you're looking for.

Hi @Ivan Lima

I appreciate your reply! There are a number of Atlassian pages that are all helpful, but are a little much to digest. 

I checked the links you sent, and the top one talks about Atlassian Access. Is that similar to Opsgenie, as both talk about providing SSO capability?  In the below link, Atlassian talks about setting up SSO for Opsgenie:

Configure Microsoft Active Directory Federation Services SSO | Opsgenie | Atlassian Support

I don't currently have either product under my Atlassian subscription, and sorry if I'm making the process more complicated than it is; just trying to make sense of it all.

Steve

Ivan Lima Community Leader Aug 12, 2022

No, they are different products. Atlassian Access is an identity and access management solution that connects your products, such as Jira Service Management, with your identity provider, among other features. 

In this case, your employees—Atlassian account Customers—need an Atlassian login to use SSO, and you also need to verify your domain before setting that up. For more details, see Atlassian Access and Setting up Atlassian Access

You can also have Portal-only Customers, who will have a "local" account, and still requires a local password, which can't use Single Sign-on unless you migrate them to Atlassian account customers.

You can allow customers in JSM to submit tickets without logging in, but they won't be able to view tickets. If you want users to view tickets without logging in, the conversation goes about anonymous access, which doesn't seem to be your case here.

Perhaps, you could explore site access with approved domains, where users can join your site without invitation. Although you need to control the product access, it could be an option to "automatically" provide access to your employees. An account will be created upon credentials information, and they will be able to submit tickets assuming your JSM project allows all users on your site to do so.

Like Steven Philpot likes this

I understand. I added a couple of users to test JSM and they had to create logins before they could submit tickets.

If I could get to the exact link to review setting up our JSM project to allow users to submit tickets without needing to first create logins, that would be awesome. Can you point me in that direction?

Steve

Hi Steven, you can follow the kb I shared initially, which will guide you through how to allow a customer to just-in-time create an account in your Cloud Site. In this case, you can skip the SSO for now, but everything else applies in this case.

The catch is that they will be created as Atlassian account customers, and you would need to disable the "New Users have Access to this Product" options; i.e., it might impact your current setup. Portal-only customers work differently and require sign-up anyway.

Ivan, thank you so much, you've really been awesome. Kudos! 

Like Ivan Lima likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events