Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLA per Team/Group/Department

Karim Mohamed June 7, 2024

I’m having a hard time getting SLA per team within my organization and I’m looking for suggestions in the community. Here’s my use case:

IT Help Desk takes 6 hours to acknowledge the ticket and work with the customer
After not being able to figure out how to solve the issue, they pass on the ticket to IT Dev Ops. Their “clock” stops once it’s assigned to the IT Dev Ops team.
IT Dev Ops takes 3 hours from the moment it’s assigned to them and resolves the ticket.

As a team, we failed to met the Time to Resolution SLA. However, going into the details, we can understand that the IT Help Desk Team took 6 hours and IT Dev Ops 3 hours for a total of 9 hours.

As far as I know, the out of the box SLA of Jira Service Management doesn’t allow me to do any of this.
Has anyone encountered this scenario or has any suggestion ?

Thank you

4 answers

1 vote
Jeroen Poismans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2024

Hi Karim!

As you probably have noticed JSM let's you start, stop, pause SLA timers based on a number of things, none of them being the change of a custom field, in your case your field containing the team. I would solve this one of two ways.

Status for IT Dev Ops

When IT Help Desk needs to handover to IT Dev Ops create a status for that indicating that DevOps is now handling the ticket. Two statusses could be Waiting for IT Helpdesk and Waiting for IT DevOps. This way you could start stop different SLA's for different teams based on the status.

New ticket for IT DevOps

You could opt to let IT DevOps handle their work in a different project, with it's ow SLA's. The moment IT HelpDesk hands over the ticket a new linked would be created in the other project (or potentially even the same?). Each team would then have it's own ticket with own SLA timer.

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Vitaly_Berezovsky_SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 13, 2024

Hi @Karim Mohamed 

I can propose you our addon SLA Time and Report for Jira.

You can configure the SLA to reassign the task to another person when it's overdue.

111.png

I hope I have understood your request correctly.

0 votes
Gizem Gökçe _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 10, 2024

Hello @Karim Mohamed ,

From what you have written, I understand that you need the total time taken to resolve a ticket. You will find it much easier to use a third party application to do this. You will need different metrics and measurements from time to time to measure the productivity and speed of the team(s). Instead of having to update your SLA definitions every time you want to access this data, you can get much more flexible and high quality reports with a powerful reporting tool.

Timepiece (formerly Time in Status) ,the oldest and leading "Time in Status" app in Atlassian Marketplace, which is developed by my team at OBSS, has a report type that will meet your need.  Our app is available for both Jira Cloud, and Data Center. 

In Status Duration report you can combine the time for multiple statuses to get metrics like Response Time (Time to first response), Resolution Time(Time to Resolution), Issue Age, Cycle Time, Lead Time  etc. 

As an alternative approach, Timepiece also has Duration Between Statuses report type which shows the duration between two specific statuses. This report type also allows the user to exclude the times for "pause" statuses. (Please see the screenshots below for both of the reports)

Status Duration Report With Resolution Time.png

DBS Report in Detail.png

For all numeric report types, you can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by the issue fields you select. For example total in-progress time per group/team or average resolution time per sprint, week, month, issuetype, request type, etc. The ability to group by parts of dates (year, month, week, day, hour) or sprints is particularly useful here since it allows you to compare different time periods or see the trend. 

Average Resolution Chart.png Average Resolution Report.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well.

Visit Timepiece (formerly Time in Status) to explore and enjoy a 30-day free trial to experience the full range of features.

If you wish, you can also schedule a live demo. We will provide a comprehensive overview of the application and address any inquiries you may have.

Hope it helps,

Gizem

0 votes
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2024

Hi @Karim Mohamed,

You can measure the SLA for each team/department by using the gadgets offered by our Great Gadgets app. 

See this article: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/App-Central/An-effective-dashboard-for-Service-Desk-and-Customer-Support/ba-p/2360369

For example, with the Control Chart gadget you can display the issues for the last X months/days for a department or overall project. All you have to do is to configure a gadget with a filer/JQL that returns the issues of that department and to configure how to measure the cycle time (ex. from Issue Creation to Done, or from In Progress to Done - you decide, according to your SLA and workflow of each department).

image.png

The gadget will display the issues by their SLA on a timeline. It also displays the average and let's you set a threshold (your SLA value) to easily identify the issues that breached their SLA (the ones in red-color). Hovering the mouse cursor over an issue will give you details about it:

image.png

You can put 3 gadgets like this side-by-side, one for overall project, one for IT Help Desk and one for IT Dev Ops. This will help you see the average and the breaches at the global level, but also at the team/department level.

As you will see in the mentioned article, you could also use Histogram gadget and Cycle Time Trend gadget.  

You could try these gadgets by installing a 1-month free app trial. If you need any assistance, please contact us at support@stonikbyte.com. 

Hope this helps. 

Danut.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events