Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict Projects to External Users

Bruno Frade August 18, 2022

Hi,

I need to restrict projects from being available on the help center for external users.

Right now the projects are configured this way:

Service project access

Choose who can send requests to “JIRA Service Management” via email or the portal:

(X) Anyone allowed on the customer access settings
Customers added to this service project only by agents and admins
If I select "Customers added to this service project only by agents and admins" I will need to add all the internal users one by one to every project.

Is there any way to accomplish this?

Thank you

2 answers

0 votes
Nguyen Thi Ngoc Hoa December 15, 2022

@Petter Gonçalves 

Hi Petter, I have similar problem and did as steps above. But, when I tried to create new Jira Service Project with "Use approved domain to grant internal customers access to the help cener with Atlassian accounts." is checked,
Internal Customers are added to Customers automatically but external customers accounts that were created before at other project are also added to Customers automatically.
How to invite an External Customer to one Jira Service Project and when the account is created, it will not be included in the "Customers" of other Jira Service Projects?

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2022

Hello @Bruno Frade

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, I understand that you would like to prevent external people (not linked to an Atlassian account) from sign-up to your project portal, however, you still want your team (Which currently has an Atlassian account) to be able to self sign-up on the project portal. Did I understand it properly?

If that's the case, you can keep the option "Anyone allowed on the customer access settings" flagged and change your Customer Access to only allow Atlassian accounts to sign-up. These would be the steps:

1. Navigate to your Jira site > Click at the cog icon in the top-right corner > Products:
    Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 5.41.32 PM.png
  2. In the left menu, click on Customer Access
  3. Under the section External, unflag the option "Allow portal-only accounts to be created for new customers accessing the help center"
  4. Under the section Internal, flag the option "Use Approved Domains to grant internal customers access to the help center with Atlassian accounts"
    Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 5.50.44 PM.png
  5. Set your company domains as Approved domains, so the internal users can properly sign-up for the project portal

Optionally, you can also allow external customers on Specific domains to sign-up for the project portal. In that case, you can follow the steps below on the same Customer access page:

1. Under the section External, unflag the option "Allow portal-only accounts to be created for new customers accessing the help center"
  2. Then, flag the option "Only allow account creation for customers with specific email domains"
  3. Add the domains you want and click enter:
    Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 5.54.59 PM.png

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders