Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resolving Multiple Tickets Using a .csv

bmenge October 21, 2020

Hello all.  I am working on a way to resolve multiple tickets that were resolved by vendors.  I have read online that it could be possible Link Here , however I wasn't sure of the format of the .csv file.  I have not been able to confirm the format of the .csv file.  Right now i have three columns: Ticket Number, Updated Ticket Status, and Resolution Reason.  Are there specific titles that need to be there, or specific wording in the individual cells for the importer to recognize the action that needs to be taken?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2020

Hi @bmenge 

Thanks for posting the link to the other thread you were looking at here.  When it comes to using CSV in Jira Cloud, there are a few different ways to use a CSV to get data into Jira. 

However these methods can be very different, and have different limitations.  For example, the Bulk issue create mentioned in that article, while that method is available to all users that have the create permission, this method is very limited because it's only designed to create issues, not update existing issue.  As such it does not have some system fields available to it.  I believe that the resolution field, a system field, is one of these fields that you cannot update via the bulk issue creator process.  The titles of your columns do not matter in this case.  If that data can be imported, Jira gives you the ability to map that field.  But in this case, I'm guessing you don't see the option to map some fields here.

Whereas the External System Import option can update existing issues if you map the issuekey.  This alternative tool can make the changes I think you want to make here.   However the limitation here is that you have to be a Jira Admin in order to use that tool, and I suspect that you are not a site-admin of your Jira Cloud site here.

One possible alternative to either of these, could be to use an app in Jira Cloud. Such as the Jira Cloud for Google Sheets.  This is a free app provided by Atlassian.  If you can get one of your site-admins to install this on your site, it could be used then as a means to export this Jira issue data to Google Sheets, make changes there, and then sync your changes back to Jira.

Alternative to that, if this isn't a good option for you, then you might want to take a closer look at the Edit multiple issues at the same time documentation which is another way to make changes to multiple issues in Jira, but admittedly, it does not afford the same level of data granularity as a CSV update would.

I hope this helps.  Please let me know if you have any questions about any of these approaches.

Andy

bmenge October 23, 2020

While you are correct that I am not a Jira Admin, I am working with one.  Regarding the External System Import, do I have to first import a .csv that maps the issuekey first or can I map it with the initial upload?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2020

When you use the external system import, the first step is to select the csv file, but that importer has different ways to do this.  For example:

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 2.02.29 PM.png

You can see that you if you choose the option to import to a specific project, all the issues will create new issues into that project.  But if you choose the 'defined in csv' you can then map that field to the issuekey value to update those issues instead of create new issues.

bmenge October 28, 2020

OH ok, so I if I want to update existing tickets, I need to set it to define in the csv?  Selecting a project will only create new issues?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
October 28, 2020

Right.  If you were to choose the option to create issues in a specific project, and then try to map the issuekey field in the CSV file and some of those issue would not be in that project, this is a potential conflict.

bmenge November 5, 2020

Thank you for replying!  I will be sure to test this out and let you know if I have any more question!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events