Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Required option in a field configuration doesn't work

Maria Szydłowska February 12, 2018

Hi,

I have a problem with configuring some custom fields to be required on the Create Form.

They are marked as required in field configurations, but they are not validated on Create Form - they even don't have a characteristic red star.

I am able to create an issue without any value in those fields. It shouldn't happen.

Solutions I've tried:

A similar problem found:

Thanks in advance for any piece of advice!
Have a great day, 

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2018

Hi Maria,

Thanks for doing some research and looking at other questions already. 

I just gave it a try on my 7.7.1 instance and that does seem to work as expected. 

The Field Configuration that you've adjusted, is that assigned to a Field Configuration Scheme. A Field Configuration Scheme basically says which Field Configuration to use for which Issue Type. Are you sure the Field Configuration that you've changed is assigned to the correct issue type in the Field Configuration Scheme?

Best,

Maarten

Thanks for a fast response @Maarten Cautreels!

I have created a field configuration called Design Team, and I have assigned this configuration for a User Story Issue type (See the screenshot).

The second screenshot shows you a field with a required mark.

On a create form the field looks like not required (third screenshot).

Field configuration "Design Team" associated with User Story

Zrzut ekranu 2018-02-12 15.10.37.png

A Field form "Design Team" field configuration marked to be required:

Zrzut ekranu 2018-02-12 15.09.36.png

A field "Product Owner" from a Create Form - should be required, but it looks and behaves like an optional one.

Zrzut ekranu 2018-02-12 15.11.29.png

Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2018

Hi Maria,

Thanks for the screenshots that really helps. I tried myself with a User Picker and that does work immediatly:

Screenshot 2018-02-12 at 15.31.56.jpg

There's only one piece of the puzzle I haven't seen in the screenshot. The Field Configuration Scheme should be configured on the project in which you're creating the Story in. Can you check the project configuration and make sure the right Field Configuration Scheme is configured?

Best,

Maarten

Thanks @Maarten Cautreels!

Each time I created a new custom field I had to choose a context for them.

I choose for the field "Product Owner" project "Design Team", and a User Story as an issue type.

Zrzut ekranu 2018-02-12 15.44.52.png

Is there a place in the project when you associate a field configuration? I have never done this before from the Project configuration.

Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2018

Hi Maria,

The context defines on which project(s) the field will be visible/useable but that has nothing to do with the Field Configuration Scheme.

Associating a Field Configuration Issue Scheme described the steps you should perform.

The Configuration (Schemes) are a complex matter. This page describes pretty clearly how it all works. (in case you're interested)

Best,

Maarten

Like # people like this

@Maarten Cautreels that was the missing step from the configuration!

I skipped this because I had no idea that even projects in Jira have their own Field Configurations!

This is the knowledge I was looking for!

I am extremely grateful for your responses and for a patient explanation with links to documentation.

Everything works now - after adding the proper Field Configuration to the Project Required fields behave as required fields :).

Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2018

No problem, the configuration of JIRA isn't always as easy as it could be. On the other hand it has so many possibilities. 

Have fun with your new knowledge and don't hesitate to post a new question when you have one!

Best,

Maarten

Sara El-Kady December 18, 2018

I had the same problem and skipped the same step :) .. Thanks a lot Maarten, so helpful tip!

Adam Fishlock December 10, 2020

Same problem for me. Don't remember skipping the step but have done what it suggested in the linked article and this now works. Thanks, @Maarten Cautreels 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events