Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Required Field only for the agent

Felipe Rodrigo P. P. de Lima June 30, 2021

Great day.

I read the tutorial from this link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/specifying-field-behavior-861253403.html but I still can't configure my need in the system. I need to create a mandatory field only for the technician, but not mandatory for the requesting person. For example, a fault code where the requester does not know what it will be, but which the technician will have to compulsorily fill in to be able to close the request. Does anyone know if this is possible to configure? Because when I left a mandatory field, when the requester opened the request through the help center, it was also mandatory there, and when I tried to hide the field, it got even worse, because then it was impossible to open the request due to Jira giving a warning that it has a hidden mandatory field and because of this it is not possible to open the request.
Can someone help me with this please?
Thanks for listening.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2021

@Felipe Rodrigo P. P. de Lima -

Yes, it is possible.  Here is what you can do -

1) Implement the required field in your WF.

2) First, create a screen that contains the required field(s).

3) Customize your WF and implement the following at the transition into the CLOSED status

• Attached the custom screen created at Step 2 to the transition.
  • Add validator to required the field(s) that you want your agent to provide value.

4) publish the WF.

After it is setup, when an agent moves the issue to CLOSED, it will pop-up the custom screen and require value for those fields.  If the agent failed to provide the values, then he/she will not be able to close out the issue.

The field(s) are not set to "required" in the field configuration scheme in your project, but it is set for required via WF tranistion.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

@Joseph Chung Yin 

Thanks a lot for the help.
Sorry for my ignorance, I'm only 3 weeks working on the jira, but I couldn't do the first stage LOL.
I already have the required fields created, and as I understand it, I went to the workflow, opened the diagram and clicked Post Functions > Add post function > Update issue custom field > Add > Select the field > Type the value for the field > Add and then, “Publish draft” to save the changes on the workflow, according to the attached print, is this really where I should go?Jira1.png

With what I did, I presented the error code: Unable to update custom field customfield_10078 - Component Code in item [OS-234].

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2021

You need to add a validator and not a post function.  You want your agent to select the appropriate Component value right when they close out the issue?

Also, did you create the custom screen with the field(s) and associated your transition with the screen?

Best, Joseph

Felipe Rodrigo P. P. de Lima July 1, 2021

I finally got it.

Thank you very much for your help, in fact all I needed was this validator, with it I managed to create the rule and now it only ends if I fill in the fields I want. I don't understand why create a custom screen, but what matters is that it's working. Thank you again.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2021

The custom screen is for having the pop-up window when one transition the issue to CLOSED, so it will allow the user to key in the required value(s).

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events