Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requests Created By Email

Greg Weber October 5, 2023

I am building a queue to help triage our countless emails from our email defender system.  

When the system sends the message The sender and subject are always the same. 

I have an automation rule set up that on create the service request is set an then there are additional labels based on the body of the email.   Many of these emails can be largely identical in content since they are system generate. 

This is working most of the time however sometimes a request comes in and it updates an existing item instead of creating a new one. 

The question is what is being tested to determine if it is an update or create

Hope that all makes sense

thanks in advance. 

greg

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Tim Kopperud
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2023

Hi @Greg Weber

If I understand your question correctly you might suggest you look into Inncomming Mail Handler (See left menu under system).

Create a new dedicated handler for this scenario, and create a new issue from every mail, which I think is a better approach for receiving emals from systems like this (because there are no dialogs here). 

mailhandler.png

The answer to your question though can be found almoust at the end of this document (under "Issue and comment creation") Create issues and comments from email | Atlassian Support

TimK.

Greg Weber October 9, 2023

thanks for information. 

I am actually looking for the fields tested that cause a record in-service desk to be updated rather then created. 

Tim Kopperud
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2023

Hi @Greg Weber 

Jira first search for issue key in the subject field, if not found it will inspect the mail header (simplified). For exact details see this link How JIRA Updates Issues from Email | Jira | Atlassian Documentation

TimK.

Greg Weber October 9, 2023

Thank you

greg

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS