Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for Solution to Automate Project Transfers in Jira Service Management

Obotseng Jantjie July 26, 2024

We currently have numerous projects on our Jira Service Management platform, and each time we resolve an issue, we need to manually transfer it to the relevant project. This manual process is time-consuming and prone to errors.

Could you please assist us in finding a solution to automate this process? We are looking for a way to streamline the transfer of resolved issues to the appropriate projects, reducing the manual workload and ensuring accuracy.

2 answers

0 votes
Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2024

@Obotseng JantjieWhat do you mean by "manually transfer it to the relevant project" ?

Are you meaning Jira Software projects?

Hi Adolfo,

Thank you for your response.

To provide further clarity, we are a digital skills training company that manages multiple cohorts or projects. We route all of our technical queries through Jira Service Management (JSM), where they are initially collected in a centralized location. However, once a query is resolved, we need to move it to the corresponding project.

For example, if a learner named Johannes from Company1 (Project1) has a query, it must be routed to Project1 upon resolution. Similarly, queries from Smith of Company2 (Project2) must be transferred to Project2 after resolution. This process is crucial for us to accurately analyze the data and identify the types of queries we receive, as well as to determine which company or project they pertain to. This information helps us proactively address recurring issues.

To clarify, we are specifically dealing with Jira Service Management , not Jira Software projects. I hope this explanation helps to clarify the purpose and importance of the process we are seeking to automate.

0 votes
Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2024

Hi @Obotseng Jantjie , thanks for your question.

I think it would be possible to automate the process you describe, but you would need to define first what the rules are.

How do you know for which tickets need to go to the other projects? Are there some standard or custom fields you can use to determine this? Or, as it is a manual process at the moment, is the person doing the moving the one who decides?

Does each Jira Service Management project have a Jira business or software project it is paired with? Or can differen issues from the same JSM project need to be transferred do different other projects?

(Just a curiousity) How many issues are we talking about?

If you can give a bit more detail, either I or someone else can try to help.

Cheers

Hi Valerie,

Thank you for your response.

To provide further clarity, we are a digital skills training company that manages multiple cohorts or projects. We route all of our technical queries through Jira Service Management (JSM), where they are initially collected in a centralized location. Once a query is resolved, we need to move it to the corresponding project.

We have a database that stores information about our clients and their associated projects, making it easy for us to identify which learners belong to which client or project. Our JSM projects are not linked to Software projects.

Given the number of learners or candidates—ranging from 400 to 1,000 per client, or even more—it becomes challenging to manage this process manually, especially when running around five projects concurrently.

I hope this explanation clarifies the purpose and importance of the process we are seeking to automate.

Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2024

Hi @Obotseng Jantjie , thank you for the explanation.

Do you have JSM Premium, by chance? The reason I ask is because, ideally, you could bring the database where you store this information about your learners into Jira with Assets.

In Assets, you could have objects to represent the learners, where you could indicate different attributes as Jira custom fields which could then be used in the automations to move the issues once they are closed -

image.png

So, for example, you could create the JSM issue and then the Jira issue in parallel and then have automations that use the workflow of one of the issues to guide and update the other -

image.png

What do you think?

Obotseng Jantjie July 29, 2024

Hi @Valerie Knapp 

Let me try this suggestion, i'll give feedback on the results.

Thank you so much.

Obotseng Jantjie July 29, 2024

Oh @Valerie Knapp we are on JSM Standard not premium but that won't be a problem we can arrange if Premium is needed for this solution.

Obotseng Jantjie August 13, 2024

Hi @Valerie Knapp @Adolfo Casari ,

Thank you so much for your assistance and suggestions. I have carefully reviewed all the options you provided, but unfortunately, they are not working for this specific purpose. I also had a session with Atlassian support, and it appears that the feature to auto-transfer projects is not available at the moment.

I will, however, continue to explore other solutions that might work. I appreciate your support.

Best regards,
Obotseng Jantjie

Like Valerie Knapp likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders