Request classification

Vincenzo January 13, 2022

Hi all,

we need to configure the system to allow a categorization of requests based on three parameters, as in the following example:

• Level1_1
    • Level2_1
      • Level3_1
      • Level3_2
    • Level2_2
      • Level3_3
      • Level3_4
      • Level3_5
    • Level2_3
      • Level3_6
    • Level1_2
      • Level2_4
        • Level3_7
      • ….

The allowed values of a sublevel must depend on the value of the higher level. Is there any possibility of configuring Jira this way?

2 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

No, there is no hierarchy of request types.

The closest you could get is to have multiple portals (which means separate help-desk projects, one per portal), with each portal having a different set of request types.

Why do you think you want to do this?  One of the guiding principles of service desks is that it should be quick and easy for a customer to find help, or, when they cannot find any, raise a request for help in the right place as easily as possible.  Digging through layers of request types is not simple and leads to them raising the wrong thing.

So, what problem are you trying to solve with this idea?   There may be another way to solve it within a simple portal/request hierarchy.

Vincenzo January 13, 2022

Hi Nic, thanks for your reply.

The idea that led me to this approach is to classify requests in order to easily extract reports that allow the manager to identify the area that is causing the most problems (this is a specific customer need), so that he can take targeted actions to reduce the amount of requests (e.g. user training).

Can I achieve this in another way based on your experience with Jira?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

Yes, you use fields as intended, asking people to enter them, or even automating them if you have a sensible rule (requests in portal 1 of types A, B, or C, and requests from portal 2 of type C or D, are all "xyz", other request types in those portals are all "abc" - that's the sort of easy classification you can automate)

Like Vincenzo likes this
Patrick Haley January 17, 2022

There are some add-ons in the marketplace that allow you to have a hierarchy. How I do this though is I have simplified request types, but use the Severity, Impact, and Urgency fields to triage requests automatically with workflow automation by assigning a Priority.

I took priority out of my request types because users always used "Highest". Using the Impact/Urgency handled this much better. The Jira Automation is based on this priority matrix. 

priority.png

Like Vincenzo likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events